ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

chilly fingers

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
Perhaps it's a sign of getting older, but my fingers just can't take the cold much any more. I think I have some blood pressure issues.

Anyway, I'm looking for decent work gloves that are plenty warm. The thinner the better, but then again, the thinner they are, the less insulation they have.

Recommendations?

daddy

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
I got some cheap hardy brand at harbor freight that seem ok.. wear out fast. I'm likely in your shoes, but too stubborn to admit it.

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
Perhaps it's a sign of getting older, but my fingers just can't take the cold much any more. I think I have some blood pressure issues.

Anyway, I'm looking for decent work gloves that are plenty warm. The thinner the better, but then again, the thinner they are, the less insulation they have.

Recommendations?

My buddy is a carpenter and he has to work outside in the winter sometimes and his fingers get really painful due to previous frostbite. I think he got it skiing. Anyway, he wears surgical gloves under whatever other gloves he wears and he says it helps.

My fingers tend to hurt for the first hour or so and then it's fine.

How cold does it get in St-Louis? Can't be that bad... I think.

Drptrch

Drptrch

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thinsulate liners, then whatever outer glove (slightly loose is better for circulation)

Also mitt gloves with Thumb and forefinger separate

Check backpacking/outdoors type stores

I’ve also used neoprene diving gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGoodSteward

AGoodSteward

Power Head
I started tossing hot hands in my gloves whenever the high temp is below freezing. $1/pair at Waldo's Empirical Emporium. Never regerted it, even on days when I'm done by noon, and the bag lasts til after dinner.

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Unc, when I am hunting I have a chemical hand warmer in a muff around my waist. I wear really thin gloves to be able to feel. When I did a lot of ice fishing, I wore a pair of "Michael Jackson" gloves under my regular gloves. They had some sort of metal enterwoven in them that seemed to reflect the heat back towards my hand. No good when worn alone, too much wind went thru them.

Something that will stop the wind from going through the gloves. Thinsulate is a good, thin insulation, but pee poor wearability.

AKTrailDog

AKTrailDog

ArboristSite Member
-Atlas insulated gloves down to 10°
-Been trying out Hestra cold weather gloves down to -20° this winter so far. They've done ok but gotta keep moving.
Thin liners underneath help. Depends on if I'm felling or just bucking and how far out I am too.
Still waiting to find thin, yet warm gloves that allow the hot hand warmers on the top of the hand.

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak

Recommendations?
You haven't enough warmth in your body, if your body isn't warm enough it will cut circulation to the your extremities like fingers and toes, also another trick is to wear wristlets , the arteries in your wrists are near the surface & can loose heat before even getting blood into the hands.

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
You haven't enough warmth in your body, if your body isn't warm enough it will cut circulation to the your extremities like fingers and toes, . . .

As a highly experienced cold weather worker - we're called Canadians - I can tell you for a fact that even if you are beaucoup warm from head to toe, your fingers can still hurt like hell from the cold. And it can happen that your hands are toasty warm but your body starts to get really cold.

For some strange reason, my stomach is my "emergency sensor". When I feel my stomach start to get cold, I quit. Beyond that point there is only trouble.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

I’m from Montana, and no stranger to cold, but it doesn’t really get cold here in St Louis.
I think I have circulation issues. My fingers fall asleep easily these days.

What I really hate is when my ears are cold. But that’s an easy fix. Fingers not so much when you’re working.

Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
I swear by the brown colored Chilly Grips gloves. They're $60 a dozen. Atlas gloves are junk by comparison. I keep a pair in my armpits and a pair on my hands. Switch when they get cold. They're not super warm, but very very dexterous. I wear regular Kinco or similar leather gloves when dexterity isn't needed.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite

Recommendations?
Any glove lined with cashmere should fit the bill - it's super-soft and warm.
The past several years I've been picking up cashmere sweaters at Good Will for peanuts, I've got a dresser full of them now and they are my favorite to wear in colder weather... soft, non-itchy, warm, and breathable.

Drptrch

Drptrch

Addicted to ArboristSite
Phone must of been listening, getting glove ads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
As a highly experienced cold weather worker - we're called Canadians - I can tell you for a fact that even if you are beaucoup warm from head to toe, your fingers can still hurt like hell from the cold. And it can happen that your hands are toasty warm but your body starts to get really cold.

For some strange reason, my stomach is my "emergency sensor". When I feel my stomach start to get cold, I quit. Beyond that point there is only trouble.
You seem to forget we have a great deal of polar territory & I was lucky enough to be highly trained to live and work there for a few years, I remember working all day outside in -40'C with a 20 knot wind & having to send co workers inside to shelter because they were getting frost nip on the exposed parts of their faces, just having a cup of hot tea gets your core temperature back up to where you can keep going again, life and death situations mean you can't knock off and go home.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
You seem to forget we have a great deal of polar territory & I was lucky enough to be highly trained to live and work there for a few years, I remember working all day outside in -40'C with a 20 knot wind & having to send co workers inside to shelter because they were getting frost nip on the exposed parts of their faces, just having a cup of hot tea gets your core temperature back up to where you can keep going again, life and death situations mean you can't knock off and go home.
What job is that?

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

I was in Menards yesterday checking out gloves. Nothing left but extra large. I did find one pair that seemed pretty good, but I need to shop around. I'm not buying something online unless I've tried it out for a while first, and I can't be spending $20 or more for a pair of work gloves, unless they are really good.