ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

chilly fingers

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
I was in Menards yesterday checking out gloves. Nothing left but extra large. I did find one pair that seemed pretty good, but I need to shop around. I'm not buying something online unless I've tried it out for a while first, and I can't be spending $20 or more for a pair of work gloves, unless they are really good.

You don't like the stretchy gloves? I've always got a few pairs in my bag. Good to have a pair a bit too big so you have at least 1/4" of dead air at the end of your fingertips, makes a big difference. About $15 here, so about $1 where you are.

3396HY__89760.1571078408.jpg

les-or-more

les-or-more

I was here but now im gone!
You don't like the stretchy gloves? I've always got a few pairs in my bag. Good to have a pair a bit too big so you have at least 1/4" of dead air at the end of your fingertips, makes a big difference. About $15 here, so about $1 where you are.

3396HY__89760.1571078408.jpg
They work good if you are handling wet stuff like firewood.

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
Yes, but they still suffer like all the rest in that rebuilding a carb with them on is all but impossible.

Not being a mechanic - or a country/western enthusiast - I would have to ask how often it is required to rebuild a card in sub-zero conditions? Is that not an in-the-garage activity? Chilly fingers being the topic and all.

les-or-more

les-or-more

I was here but now im gone!
Not being a mechanic - or a country/western enthusiast - I would have to ask how often it is required to rebuild a card in sub-zero conditions? Is that not an in-the-garage activity? Chilly fingers being the topic and all.
Chilly fingers is indeed the topic, and we are discussing remedies to that end, if everyone stayed inside where it was warm there would be no chilly fingers. The objective here is to find a solution to chilly fingers while maintaining maximum dexterity. Admittedly few people are going to rebuild a carb outside in extreme temperatures, but in my experience any glove I can easily swap out a chain while wearing are too thin to keep your fingers warm in sub zero temps.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good old Atlas 300 therma fit work fine for me. Been in them the last 2 days doing snow removal. If you need extra warmth, you can use a cotton knit glove as a liner. Cotton gloves are available in different weights from thin “inspection” gloves to heavy weight. They are super inexpensive and can be laundered. If you need dexterity for a short time in the cold, pull off the outer glove and just use the liner.

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
Chilly fingers is indeed the topic, and we are discussing remedies to that end, if everyone stayed inside where it was warm there would be no chilly fingers. The objective here is to find a solution to chilly fingers while maintaining maximum dexterity. Admittedly few people are going to rebuild a carb outside in extreme temperatures, but in my experience any glove I can easily swap out a chain while wearing are too thin to keep your fingers warm in sub zero temps.

The carb rebuild, which you brought up, was the point. I couldn't imagine anyone doing that in freezing cold conditions.

As for saw maintenance, sometimes you just gotta take your gloves off. Good to have paper towel or a rag in your pocket to dry your hands with after those tasks. Putting wet hands bag into a glove is definitely worth avoiding.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
As someone mentioned; Michael Jackson gloves inside other gloves. Your hands freeze to death when worn alone, but remarkably they make a HUGE difference when worn inside almost any other glove. The heavier they feel, the more "tinfoil" in them, the better. They are like space blankets for your hands and just like space blankets, they work.

Any decent nylon or preferably leather outer gloves makes for a good combo.

Also, always keep moving. Even keep wiggling your fingers and toes when the rest of you is stationary. Constantly use ALL of your muscles. Fairly quickly it will become habit and you'll stay warmer.

I surveyed for years, standing behind a "gun" in up to -60C weather. That's where I learned to never stop moving your muscles. All of them, core included.

Also, make sure your boots and gloves are bone-dry to start every day. Have spares so you can rotate warm, dry gloves and even boots. The vehicle heater works good for drying/warming clothes during the day.

wear a scarf, keep the draft out of your neck. Keep your bum warm.

anyway, tons of tips in this thread. I added a few.

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
As someone mentioned; Michael Jackson gloves inside other gloves. Your hands freeze to death when worn alone, but remarkably they make a HUGE difference when worn inside almost any other glove. The heavier they feel, the more "tinfoil" in them, the better. They are like space blankets for your hands and just like space blankets, they work.

Any decent nylon or preferably leather outer gloves makes for a good combo.

Also, always keep moving. Even keep wiggling your fingers and toes when the rest of you is stationary. Constantly use ALL of your muscles. Fairly quickly it will become habit and you'll stay warmer.

I surveyed for years, standing behind a "gun" in up to -60C weather. That's where I learned to never stop moving your muscles. All of them, core included.

Also, make sure your boots and gloves are bone-dry to start every day. Have spares so you can rotate warm, dry gloves and even boots. The vehicle heater works good for drying/warming clothes during the day.

wear a scarf, keep the draft out of your neck. Keep your bum warm.

anyway, tons of tips in this thread. I added a few.

At least no blackflies and deer flies in the winter. That's a plus.

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
Story teller to the king. :laughing:
It is like -15c right now here, we call it Friday morning:laugh:
I could alway tell when it was -15, my nose stopped running when it was any colder than that.
I lost the feeling in the tips of my fingers for 3 months from having cold hands, when you are conditioned to the cold it's easy to get a cold injury because of being used to discomfort.
In the great white south, at the peak of summer it's no more than a couple of degrees either way of 0'C around the edges.

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
I could alway tell when it was -15, my nose stopped running when it was any colder than that.
I lost the feeling in the tips of my fingers for 3 months from having cold hands, when you are conditioned to the cold it's easy to get a cold injury because of being used to discomfort.
In the great white south, at the peak of summer it's no more than a couple of degrees either way of 0'C around the edges.

"Great White South"... I'm going to ponder that one. It may be perfectly in tune, it may not.

aokpops

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
I’m from Montana, and no stranger to cold, but it doesn’t really get cold here in St Louis.
I think I have circulation issues. My fingers fall asleep easily these days.

What I really hate is when my ears are cold. But that’s an easy fix. Fingers not so much when you’re working.
I never had any problems with cold hands or feet until this year . July 3 I had double by pass surgery feel really good . The fight now is cold hands and feet . I think it’s the medicine. Look at your finger when cold the color will be white cold numb . The rest of your hand will be pink warm . This called something that starts with a R . Going double down with cold . You will never be warm until you fell the cold. . I will be in ice water this year

avason

avason

Addicted to ArboristSite
My brother is an iron worker and turned me onto these gloves. They are very comfortable and have a small lining on the inside for some warmth. So far so good. They seem like they will last a long time. I usually blow through gloves while doing wood. These are holding up far better than the regular TSC gloves that I get. I've tried the deerskin and other kinds. These are better.

1608386116900.png