Chimney Clean Out Results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I ordered one of those drill powered brush kits. My boiler chimney (6” diameter by 3/16” thick stainless liner welded at seams) inside of clay chimney has never been cleaned but needs it now. I’m gone this week for work so once I load it Tuesday morning I’ll let it go out and then I can clean the pipe Saturday as well as empty all of the ashes.

The house is 38 years old but this is the first time wood has been used primarily. It was always the backup heat source prior so maybe has a year of so if cumulative use prior to this.
Is that a normal liner, What does something like that cost ?

Is that a normal liner, What does something like that cost ?
No it was totally custom. No idea on modern day cost. Figure 30’ of stainless pipe and I have no idea how much that would run.

A friend of the family designed and built heating systems as his second job. He worked at the mines and would buy “scrap” piping and weld it together. He put our boiler on the foundation as the house was being built, then supported the full length SS chimney temporarily and used scaffold to put each section of clay tile chimney over the pipe till he reached the top. Then the masons completed the chimney.

In reality, a chimney fire within that liner would just be self cleaning as you still have airspace then clay and then several inches of cement around it. But I don’t want to risk the chance that it clogs up or spews flaming crud onto my roof.

Well I ordered one of those drill powered brush kits. My boiler chimney (6” diameter by 3/16” thick stainless liner welded at seams) inside of clay chimney has never been cleaned but needs it now. I’m gone this week for work so once I load it Tuesday morning I’ll let it go out and then I can clean the pipe Saturday as well as empty all of the ashes.

The house is 38 years old but this is the first time wood has been used primarily. It was always the backup heat source prior so maybe has a year of so if cumulative use prior to this.

Those drill chimney cleaners are sweet! I ordered one after I cleaned my dryer vent with the one made for that. :yes:

The spinning brushes are great.

Keep the rods moving in or out if the brush is spinning or else if the rods are going round a bend and touching the flue that bit of rod heats up quickly.

Latest posts

Back