Chimney Clean Out Results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
I cleaned my chimney today. I have been burning for about 45 days. 30 days hot and heavy due to some abnormally cool November temps.
This is out of my brand new double wall insulated chimney that I just installed this year. The chimney is about 24 foot tall.
It is located in a chase on the side of my house. Half of it is in the garage.

My stove is an old non cat Schrader Fireplace. 8 inch flue.

Does this look pretty normal? I've never burned with a wood stove before. Burning mostly ash and sugar maple. Wood is very dry. Most is several years old.
soot1.JPG soot.JPG photo (12).JPG stove pipe 003.jpg

Not bad considering the stove is old! Run it hotter and you should burn cleaner.

It also doesn't look too safe sitting on hardwood flooring...Its a fire waiting to happen.

Only 45 days? I'd be a little worried with that much junk coming out.
Getting ready to install a stove in my basement with double wall chimney through the wall, I'll be disappointed if it gets that bad.

Not to bad at all. Like Dave 376 said you should get something noncombustible under that stove. I have seen a couple fires started that way. Be safe.

I wouldn't be concerned about the amount of soot, with that tall of a chimney the flue gasses cool and condense more than they would in a shorter one. The stove has a pedestal, so I would also not be concerned about the lack of a stove pad if the stove has fire brick in the bottom. And if you use something like a deep tray in front of the stove when it is opened while adding wood.

My Englander 30 calls for an insulated hearth underneath it if it will be used on a combustible surface, even though it is a pedestal stove. (mine's on legs though)

It'll cruise around 600-700 degrees stovetop, so I'd guess its getting pretty hot underneath it too.

That's not horrible although I think I'd try to clean it a bit more frequently good seasoned wood is the key

Considering that it is the early season when low fires are the norm, it's a less efficient older model, and a 24' stack that condenses much more than a shorter stack, and you're new to the game...
you're doing fine.;)

Get some bricks under that stove. Winter is coming, and you're gonna be running that beast HOT real soon, with lots of ash clean outs with coals still burning.
No reason to risk something ugly happening and sucking the fun outta burning.

That IS a good looking old stove BTW!

That IS a great looking stove! You definitely need to burn it a bit hotter, at least for an hour or two a night as you've got to get that flue hot. Draw is important and clearing the obstacles on your roof is equally important to draw, BUT, the inescapable fact is the longer the chimney, the more cooling/condensation time the smoke and gasses have before exiting the flue. The cooler it is the more the particulates form, especially when not being burned as cleanly as possible via some form of a re-burn process catalytic or not. There's nothing wrong with a smoke dragon when you run it right. It all comes with time and experience. I love my Pacific Energy stove, but I am putting a home-built (I think due to the amateur welds) smoke dragon, due to the built-in blower and manifold which I can attach a heat duct to to blow some warm air towards my workbench. It's also much more tolerant of green Hedge fuel... Good luck!

OP, do yourself a favor and have that whole installation including the original fireplace chimney and all the pipe connections to the stove inspected by a certified sweep. Aside from the issue of the stove being right on top of a combustible floor, that looks like old school triple wall pipe in that chase over an old style heat form box, it was never intended for use with air tight stoves.

I'm seeing all kinds of things your homeowners insurer can walk away from a claim on, you may not like what a certified sweep has to say about that installation but the alternative is much worse.

That floor defiantly needs some protection that is something nobody would approve . I'd make some kind of hearth pad out of durok and tile coming out in front of the stove .A loose ember that you may not notice could change your whole life

24 ft is about high my flue is. Always had problems with built up. The amount of wood added to flue cooling off at the top kills me.

Well I ordered one of those drill powered brush kits. My boiler chimney (6” diameter by 3/16” thick stainless liner welded at seams) inside of clay chimney has never been cleaned but needs it now. I’m gone this week for work so once I load it Tuesday morning I’ll let it go out and then I can clean the pipe Saturday as well as empty all of the ashes.

The house is 38 years old but this is the first time wood has been used primarily. It was always the backup heat source prior so maybe has a year of so if cumulative use prior to this.

Latest posts

Back