chimney cleaning from the bottom.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if you gave your brush a little trim might be as simple as chucking it up in the drill and running it on some 60 grit sand paper .015 -.020 might make a big difference in resistance while still cleaning the chimney fine.

or spend the coin and get the rotary cleaning brush and chuck it up in the drill , that would be sweet , I just can't justify the money when I have a setup that works and gets such little use.
Yeah maybe trimming it down just a bit would help, I listened to the stove shop years ago when they said "it should loosen with use" but that was 25 years ago and I'm still waiting lol!

It is also possible that your brush got made a touch large or your pipe a touch small or both.

I am going to bet that stove pipe and cleaning brushes aren't made to super exacting standards .

Here’s a flexible rod cleaner, quick disconnect fittings. The head uses heavy weedeater type cleaners that are replaceable. Comes with adapter that lets you hook it to a cordless drill. Extra rods can be purchased if you need more length. Works fantastic and isn’t super expensive and will last years. I got mine at Rural King and the extra rods from Amazon.
Definitely perfect for cleaning from the bottom and not getting on my metal roof.

Attachments

• EAAE14F2-AEDA-417F-B23B-3925BA32DEA1.jpeg
    EAAE14F2-AEDA-417F-B23B-3925BA32DEA1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 67CA3E23-581E-4266-B397-68A31E12E276.jpeg
    67CA3E23-581E-4266-B397-68A31E12E276.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Here’s a flexible rod cleaner, quick disconnect fittings. The head uses heavy weedeater type cleaners that are replaceable. Comes with adapter that lets you hook it to a cordless drill. Extra rods can be purchased if you need more length. Works fantastic and isn’t super expensive and will last years. I got mine at Rural King and the extra rods from Amazon.
Definitely perfect for cleaning from the bottom and not getting on my metal roof.
I just got one of those setups, and it seems to work great. I never had an issue with traditional rods and a brush, just wanted to try it out

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just got one of those setups, and it seems to work great. I never had an issue with traditional rods and a brush, just wanted to try it out

I would also add...

Cut it a little longer than the template says.

I've been on Chimney cleaning jobs since I was a kid. If you're burning good dry wood you can get away with a green flexible brush and a few passes. No fancy spinning stuff needed. If it's really caked on I go with a metal brush and up to a flat wire brush if someone really sucks at burning wood. Keep on it and clean it out before the next burning season every year if you're burning a lot.

the rotary systems usually have very much more flexible rods and are great if you have a bend or 2 to get the brush around. If the flue is straight up and down then the standard 'drain rods' an brush should do fine.

I have my doubts that the flexable cleaning rods would work well in my chimney. I cant even access my flue from the bottom and its almost 30ft from the cap to the bottom. Spining that little rod in a drill would probably tie it in knots. I have a fiberglass telescopic rod I insert from the top, extending it as it goes down the flue. I made a small metal plate I screw on the rod end and basicly just scrape the sides of the flue liner. I just cleaned my chimney yesterday. It took about 30min and that includes getting the ladder and putting it back up. I hadnt cleaned in two winters and I got about half of a ashbucket full of cresote. I do plan on a different stove and stove pipe in my next house and one of those flexable brushes look like they might do the trick

I use a temp gauge on the pipe and a temp gauge on the stove. I control what heat goes up the chimney and the temp in the woodstove. I burn at a rate to keep the creosote down. I light one hot fire a day too the shut it down and control it. I cut my wood consumption down by 1/3. I been heating with wood since 1979. I clean the chimney once every october. My firewood is seasoned for a year. I’m using a fireplace chimney.

Back