chinese knock off sharpener any good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastshivy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am very unhappy with my chain sharpening skills. I bought an Oregon knock off sharpener from Northern tools and it seems to be a decent machine, but chains are not nearly as sharp as a new chain. I use only husky saws in a .325 pitch and 3/8. Most of my angles are 25 or 30 with top plate at 60. The chains i sharpen produce small dust and just don't cut good. Are the knock offs problematic? Could the cheaper grinding wheels be causing problems?
My thinking at this point is that it is technique, but i can't figure out what i am doing wrong. Any suggestions here. I am not getting that rounded look that a file produces.

I could never hand file a chain that didn't want to cut circles after two filings. I also bought a knock off grinder and had good results with it. There is a sloppiness in the grinder that takes a little getting used to.
I could produce good cutting chains and straighten out any chain I messed up from filing.
I also had access to a Silvey grinder to compare against the results of the knock off grinder. The Silvey results were better, but not enough to justify the cost of a Silvey for the amount I would use it.
I used the knock off for about 10 years and everything was good. I read about the Husqvarna Roller Guide for hand filing on this site and bought one at Lowes. I watched a video or two and then started using it. Far better results over the knock off grinder. I have not used the grinder since starting with the new roller guide.
I guess you should be getting better resuls with the grinder. Hope you get it working.

Well i may try the Husky roller guide it looks pretty well designed. Most of the stuff i cut is locust, oak and hickory sometimes the chains look like they have been run through rocks after heavy use. ....even the new ones.

I am really happy with the roller guide. I would use it over the Silvey grinder also. It makes a really sharp chain without much effort. Other people might not get as good results as I did, maybe just luck on my part.

Those guides are pretty specific on what chains they work on so you have to have the right guide and chain. Also, remember to hold down pressure when using the guide because the file will want to climb on you.

Good luck.

Weekend warrior with no fireplace.

I hand filed. If I wear my glasses, if my file stays sharp, I use a big solid vise in the basement, and I pay attention, I can do a great job sharpening. I got a Timberline sharpener from Baileys. I think it allows me to be more consistent sharpening. I was making nice sized chips last weekend . I did cut some locust. I don't think there is any oak that has to go in the little cleanup project. The week before the maple made for some nice big chips.

Well finally found a good video of someone using the chinese knock off sharpener. I made one adjustment in my technique and finally produced a decent cutting chain. I will say the instructions that come with the sharpener SUCK! The unit however works good.

I am very sorry to hear about these problems. I have been hand sharpening my saws for more than 40 years. I do not think that anybody can take a chain off and put it through a chain grinder in under 5 minutes or use those stupid dremel tools and get great results. Of course you need a generator where ever you go to run you sharpener. Then what about the rakers they have to be adjusted also. My chains cut fast stay sharp and cut a perfect straight line, but probably it will take a little practice to get perfect results. Did anybody fall their first large tree within 1 foot of the intended target? No it took some practice and how happy you were when you hit the exact mark. Many chains have a little slash to show what kind of angle to use or at least recommend. Get a short heavy duty c clamp and weld a lag bolt on to it so that when you come to a nice stump it can be screwed into the stump and bang you have a nice shop to do your chain work on. Sharpen the left handed teeth from the right and the right handed from the left always pushing the file away from you. Wear gloves until you can do it in your sleep. After about 40 or 50 chains you can experiment with some English and then you can watch the chips fly. Buy good quality files like Oregon and buy plenty. I usually order 3 to 6 dozen. I assure you it is not difficult otherwise I could not do it. Thanks

How mch are you cutting to need 70 files? I have files that are 10+ yrs old.

I have a clone, and can sharpen chains to factory sharpness and very quickly too. It takes a few times to figure out the best methods. I'll likely never use a file again.

Back