Chinese Pistache-- Any good as firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldField

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have two dead Chinese Pistache trees and I was wondering if anyone knows whether these trees are any good for firewood?

Thanks in advance for any information regarding these trees.

My thoughts are if its wood and you have it, it is firewood, but then i ain't picky, I burn whatever logs get dumped in my lot. about the only thing I will not mess with is willow, around here they take way to long to dry out and will rot before they are dry, otherwise I burn it all, the willow just gets burned with the bark and rotten stuff in a pile outside.

We used to burn it when I lived in Kansas a few years. Pops a lot but has descent BTus. I think it’s a locust tree if you see that on a burn chart.

Thanks for the replies. The Chinese Pistache is used in urban landscapes and has great fall colors. I just have never seen it listed as a firewood.

Chinese pistache wood is EXTREMELY difficult to split! Worse than sycamore or eucalyptus or any other wood I have attempted to convert into firewood.

Chinese pistache wood is EXTREMELY difficult to split! Worse than sycamore or eucalyptus or any other wood I have attempted to convert into firewood.
I hand split 2+ cords of the Chinese pistache and I definitely earned every BTU it provided.
As a firewood it was decent, though given its density, I thought it would have been higher in BTUs. Definitely not in the same class as eucalyptus or almond as firewood.

It is a nice landscaping tree with its fall colors.

Latest posts

Back