Chinese Pistache

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrontierTX

Reaction score
Restarting this older thread in the hopes that some answers are out there now. I have 2 Chinese Pistache (Pistachio) trees that have been in my front yard going on 9 yrs old now. One grows full and beautiful and has been pruned. The other seems to struggle every year right around July for the past 6 years. Obviously, we get heat and drought issues in Texas are common but these tree types are known to be hardy - we even had a tremendous amount of rain this spring. However, tree #1 has annual issues around July with foliage redness, leaves falling, and stunted growth compared to the "sister" tree planted at the same time. Past solutions I have tried have been SuperThrive Vitamin solution, Vigaro tree spikes...these have had small improvements but still not the permanent solution.

See the attached pictures for good tree vs. bad tree and pics of foliage and trunk on the sick tree.

Attachments

• Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Tree2.jpg
    Tree2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Tree3.jpg
    Tree3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Tree4.jpg
    Tree4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Tree5.jpg
    Tree5.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
I didn't know pistachios grew in trees like that, I thought they were like peanuts! Guess that why they are almost $20;a pound?

Not familiar with pistachio trees. Ruling out some common issues may be helpful. Start with root collar disorders, post pics of the weak trees stump area.

image-jpg.458240

OK, good pic. If you notice the trees root flare is below grade. It needs to be exposed so we can see how deep she is. The deeper the root collar is the more health problems we have.

root-flare-uncovered.jpg

This is what a dug out exposed root collar looks like. See the old soil line on the trunk, she was planted too deep or grade was changed.

Back