Chip jamming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd take a look at your chain, that saw is far from cutting smooth, its grabby & shuttering. Also muff mods are great & all but a proper tune is needed to make the most of any saw, that echo was 4 stroking through every cut, cut after cut. Before hacking up bars I'd get the basics right first. Normally one would adjust the chain length to better position the tail in relation to the sprocket. Cutting the tail is what you do to run larger pin count sprockets to marry the transition so the chain comes off the sprocket & enters the bar smooth and directly. Gaps, slack & increased transition distance are not what you want. I would'nt be cutting up any more bars until the basics are covered like tune & chain.
Agreed on the tune, I usually do a quick tune everyday. Last day it was ran was 20° cooler. I was in a rush though I won't have good weather for a stretch, so as long as it wasnt lean and consistant between cuts i wasnt worried about it. I guess what I'm doing here is getting a good baseline of what the engine likes before it gets ported. The chain is the same between the two drivers, an LGX. I made sure it's pretty much stock configuration and it's fairly new. Maybe a handful of runs on it and just before the cuts I put a Stihl 2 and 1 to it just to touch it up. If this was going to be its final state I'd certainly start playing with the chain for further tune. Neither the medium Stihl mount bars nor the Husky mount have the chain in either sprocket touching anywhere near that 1/4" I cut. It wast my idea but others have done it without issue. Structurally it shouldn't be an issue though I can definitely see chain to ramp issues if you cut where the chain touches.

Latest posts

Back