Chipper choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey. I've got some options for old used chippers. I've owned a bandit 90xp in the past and loved it. I've since moved to another state and started another company part time. I've discovered it's quite difficult to go back to stomping brush after owning a nice chipper for years!!

Here are my questions-

Chuck and ducks- I've never used one. Are they worth owning? There is a decent looking 6" with a Wisconsin going for 1800 around here.

On the other end of the spectrum are a few retired utility company Bandit 200xps like this one going for 5-6k. They are fairly rusty with high hours. I've got an old f350 dump. Are they too heavy to regularly and safely tow? I'm not afraid of a little mechanical work but I don't want to be unsafe with weight.

There is a Morbark 2070 available from the local rental company for 4500. It's probably from the 90's prior to the xp twister models. I'm having a hard time finding information on these. Does anyone know about these models? I plan on asking to demo it.

Thanks for any advice you guys can send my way!

Mike

Hey. I've got some options for old used chippers. I've owned a bandit 90xp in the past and loved it. I've since moved to another state and started another company part time. I've discovered it's quite difficult to go back to stomping brush after owning a nice chipper for years!!

Here are my questions-

Chuck and ducks- I've never used one. Are they worth owning? There is a decent looking 6" with a Wisconsin going for 1800 around here.

On the other end of the spectrum are a few retired utility company Bandit 200xps like this one going for 5-6k. They are fairly rusty with high hours. I've got an old f350 dump. Are they too heavy to regularly and safely tow? I'm not afraid of a little mechanical work but I don't want to be unsafe with weight.

There is a Morbark 2070 available from the local rental company for 4500. It's probably from the 90's prior to the xp twister models. I'm having a hard time finding information on these. Does anyone know about these models? I plan on asking to demo it.

Thanks for any advice you guys can send my way!

Mike

C and D - What are you chipping? Hardwoods with crotches? Might not be ideal. They're simple and cheap so that's a plus. Someone with more hours on one could add more.

That looks pretty rough to me. How old is the f350? A 7.3 PSD won't even know it's there. I'd say any F350 would pull it, some better than others.

I run a small chipper with hydraulic feed and it does well. I do get into jobs where a bigger capacity would be nice but that's life.

They're all better than stacking brush.

Hey thanks for the reply!

I'm chipping a lot of Ash removals. EAB is hitting very hard in the area and I anticipate the majority of my jobs in the coming 2 years will be dead dried out ash until they're completely decimated. Is chipping dead wood with C and D pretty brutal? This is the C & D by the way.

My 350 is a 2001 with the v10. Same engine on a 550 used to pull my bandit 90xp without even feeling it. I'm mostly concerned about not being overly overweight. I'm interested in hearing if anyone has owned a 200xp and regularly pulled it with a one ton.

I'm in the mountains so take this into consideration.
I've got a 97 f350 with a 7.3 Stahl chip box, weighs about 10k with just fuel and tools.
I've pulled a 200+ more than a few times and I feel like the go was there but the woah was iffy when loaded down with chips. If the chipper had good working brakes I wouldn't be worried at all.
We've got a 2000 one ton with a 7.3 at work and occasionally pull an 8k lb Carlton around. Again, plenty of power but nowhere near enough brakes. I've slid into an intersection before loaded with chips. It's fine until someone pulls out in front of you or does something else stupid.

I had a Chuck and duck for a few years as well. As long as the knives where sharp and adjusted correctly it was a pretty good machine. Ford 300 six cylinder and a 12" drum would eat up some 8" pine or poplar, and fly thru brush if you processed it right. Iirc the c&d was about 2500lbs less than the 200+

Those morbark 2070s look great on paper. 12" capacity, dual feed rollers, under 5000lbs. I'd love to try one out. Morbark isn't really all that common around here though, so I've never heard much about them first hand.

I'm starting my hunt for another chipper and for my market I feel like a good used bandit 90 with a water cooled diesel gonna be hard to beat.
Don't forget to check out the bandit 150 as well. A fuzz bigger than a 90 but still lighter than a 200.
After running a chipper with a winch and lift/crush cylinder for a few years it'd be hard to go back. Especially the lift cylinder, so much safer chipping wood and way easier dealing with the tough, crotchy brush.

Back