Chipper engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mes261

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone run a Ford 2.5 in a bandit 12xp? Trying to figure out the best gas engine option for a 12” chipper. The rep told me the Ford engine is the smallest of the options obviously but that it was giving no problems where as the psi engines were having more issues. Thanks for any input!

Anyone run a Ford 2.5 in a bandit 12xp? Trying to figure out the best gas engine option for a 12” chipper. The rep told me the Ford engine is the smallest of the options obviously but that it was giving no problems where as the psi engines were having more issues. Thanks for any input!
I would with a min of 100 HP Diesel.

These guys are recommending diesel, but you are asking for a gas engine option. Typical response here. I dunno about drum Bandit chippers. I have only had Bandit disk chippers. A 2.5 Ford seems small, but it depends on what you want to chip. Even though I could chip 9 inch limbs, I only chipped 4 inch diameter and smaller wood. I cut the bigger stuff up for firewood. I also chipped mostly brush and tree tops. So a 2.5 liter V-4 gas engine worked well for me. I had the old Wisconsin V4GD engines in my Bandit 90 and 95. They made all of 37 HP. The Ford 2.5L has 87 HP, and will cream one of those old engines. Plenty of power. Almost the power of the 100 HP diesel. Not the same torque though. But it is in the middle range for that chipper. So it is not undersized by any means. I prefer running gas over diesel engines myself.

We ran a inline 6 cylinder Ford gas motor in our 12" vermeer. Had plenty of power, and very reliable. IMO put the biggest motor that will fit in your engine compartment. No Regerts.

On another note.. what would be the going rate for a new 12xp with a gas engine? Ballpark
They ain't cheap. 2019 list base price for the 12xp is $26 grand plus $9 grand for a 3.0 PSI gas engine, or $35 grand base price. Add Sales tax in other states, and add for other options (they can get really pricey). The 2019 price list I have does not have the 2.5L Ford engine listed, but it would probably be around the price of the 3.0 PSI gas engine.

As for the recommendation to put the biggest engine in the 12xp? That would be a whopping $24 grand upgrade for a CAT engine with clutch for $50 grand base price! *cough*

Whatever engine you get, I would get one with the clutch. I had a clutch in my first Bandit, but not the second one. Clutch was better.

Complete 2019 price sheet for Bandit stump grinders and chippers are here with engine options and other add on features:

https://www.escnj.us/cms/lib/NJ0221...4/Bandit Industries Inc-Price List 1-2-19.pdf

I just priced a 12xp with the 2.5 Ford.. a lift cylinder, and a couple add ons like cone and flag holder and tool kit.. $57k

Do chipper motors run at a constant speed with a cam for low rpm power like a boat motor?

Thats why I never bought new brush chippers. If your handy you can pick one up that need work and save a lot.
Yep. I paid less than $2,500 each for my Bandit 90 and 95. They were beat and needed welds, the engines were tired and it was the great recession and all, but still. They WORKED. A welder and mechanical experience was all they needed.

Do chipper motors run at a constant speed with a cam for low rpm power like a boat motor?
Yes, they are stationary engines that run at one speed, like a lawn mower. Ford, Kohler and Cat make a lot of industrial engines, as did Wisconsin and others.

300 six or 302 for and adapt it yourself or find one you can fix and convert. I'm pretty sure you could build one from parts and fabricate the rest for under $50k. While not a chipper, my splitter uses a 1600 Pinto engine and rear axle. Make one with what you can find.

Latest posts

Back