Chipper knives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigwelder83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did the knives in my bandit 90 tonight. This time I was able to flip them, next will be all new. Who sharpens their own knives? How often do you put in new bolts?
20210418_183451.jpg

Did the knives in my bandit 90 tonight. This time I was able to flip them, next will be all new. Who sharpens their own knives? How often do you put in new bolts?
View attachment 902044
Not too often do I replace the bolts . I send the knives out its cheap to have done. You are overlooking the cutting bar you can sharpen that your self.

I send out my blades to be sharpened by the dealership. I replace the bolts every time I sharpen the blades or flip them, one use only for the bolts. I rented a machine that re-used the bolts. Broke every bolt holding the blades on. Two blades, eight total bolts, all broke. Total disaster and repairs were around $6K. Manufacturer for Vermeer says the bolts can be used twice. For the cost of a few bolts, always new bolts.

I had a bandit 90 for several years. Great machine.

I was instructed- and have practiced- replacing the bolts after every third time you tighten them. I also put anti-seize on the threads... I've heard horror stories of bolts breaking while the machine is running is absolutely disastrous for the machine and your personal safety.

I dont think we ever replaced the bolts on the 1590 however that was a drum and the knives had four bolts each. Is the "cutting bar" the same as the anvil. ?

I send out my blades to be sharpened by the dealership. I replace the bolts every time I sharpen the blades or flip them, one use only for the bolts. I rented a machine that re-used the bolts. Broke every bolt holding the blades on. Two blades, eight total bolts, all broke. Total disaster and repairs were around $6K. Manufacturer for Vermeer says the bolts can be used twice. For the cost of a few bolts, always new bolts.
On my Bandit 1890 I only replaced the bolts 3 times in 15 years. If they get over tightened with an impact gun and stretch they break.

I'm surprised the dealers don't have specs for using and reusing the bolts. Of course, it all depends on the use of the machine, actual hours of use and how it's used as compared to calendar time.

Bandit recommends replacing the bolts after every five times they’re tightened (from memory) on my 19xpc. I think the torque is 180 foot pounds. I do it with hand tools and finish with a digital torque wrench.

Anyone that doesn't know if or when the bolts need to be changed or to what torque, please check it out. When the blades let go, it's a nightmare situation to be in and the repairs are VERY costly.

Be safe

Id sharpen my Bandit 90 knives insitu with a stone on a drill it works ok gets a few more hours work out of them but if take them off get them done by pro shop. Id try to replace bolts each 3 or 4th flips and the nylok nuts as often as can

Back