Chipper Question On Brands????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvanhouten1

Reaction score
Okay sorry to bore everyone... First and foremost Aloha.... Yes, I am blessed and live in Hawaii. I am in need of a chipper. I have rented them and bought a Vermeer 600. To small and have been searching for a new one at least 12 inch or bigger. I have 33 acres and have been looking for a year. The best I have found for the money is a 2009 Altec 1820 with a John Deere Diesel engine. The hours are 573 which to me is very low. I know everyone raves about the bandit 250 xp but just can't seem to find them under 20,000. Remember my location in Hawaii means high transport fees. On the Altec it costs $8,000 just to get it to me. So trying to be reasonable and not break the bank.

My question is simple does anyone have experience with the Altec 1820 (2009) and is it a good reliable machine. Let me know your thoughts..

Mahalo(Thanks)

George

Okay sorry to bore everyone... First and foremost Aloha.... Yes, I am blessed and live in Hawaii. I am in need of a chipper. I have rented them and bought a Vermeer 600. To small and have been searching for a new one at least 12 inch or bigger. I have 33 acres and have been looking for a year. The best I have found for the money is a 2009 Altec 1820 with a John Deere Diesel engine. The hours are 573 which to me is very low. I know everyone raves about the bandit 250 xp but just can't seem to find them under 20,000. Remember my location in Hawaii means high transport fees. On the Altec it costs $8,000 just to get it to me. So trying to be reasonable and not break the bank.

My question is simple does anyone have experience with the Altec 1820 (2009) and is it a good reliable machine. Let me know your thoughts..

Mahalo(Thanks)

George
Probably better to ask this in the pro arborist thread.

But my $.02 is altecs run but some of the feed rollers are goofy, Johny Deere Engines are pretty much bullet proof just keep good oil and filters in em, the rest of the parts will be off the shelf hydraulic stuff except maybe the knives, which you can probably order (not a chipper guy so?)

Lots of companies using Altec, though I've had more experience with Vermeer stuff, and I like it better just from the operator standpoint. But construction wise etc I didn't see anything to differentiate between the 2

Probably better to ask this in the pro arborist thread.

But my $.02 is altecs run but some of the feed rollers are goofy, Johny Deere Engines are pretty much bullet proof just keep good oil and filters in em, the rest of the parts will be off the shelf hydraulic stuff except maybe the knives, which you can probably order (not a chipper guy so?)

Lots of companies using Altec, though I've had more experience with Vermeer stuff, and I like it better just from the operator standpoint. But construction wise etc I didn't see anything to differentiate between the 2
Thank you will re-post in pr arborist thread...

Back