Chipper questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little A's

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings, I am looking to add another chipper. I currently have a Vermeer 1250 that is older but rarely gives any trouble. I would like to make the Vermeer the back up chipper. There is a local Bandit 250xp Cummins 3.9 1999 model for sale for 12K with very few hours. My question is, are the newer 250xp’s more efficient or otherwise worth the extra money, assuming that reliability will not be an issue with a lower hour, but older machine. My friend just bought a late model bc1000xl and says it is night and day difference compared to his Vermeer 1230. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Would be open to a larger chipper also, but have not used one larger than 12”.

I'd rather have an older model to not have as many electronics to deal with. You might be missing autofeed on a 99 model, maybe not but you can always add it.
I like the idea of fewer electronics...just did not know if the improvements (better chipping, more efficient, etc) since 1999 were worth buying newer. Thanks

I'd rather have an older model to not have as many electronics to deal with. You might be missing autofeed on a 99 model, maybe not but you can always add it.
I like the idea of fewer electronics...just did not know if the improvements (better chipping, more efficient, etc) since 1999 were worth buying newer. Thanks

If you go with the bandit I can get you some info on it, with a Work order number of the tong jack. Stuff like manual and part info.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I wound up getting a 2010 Vermeer bc1000. Got it at auction for a good price. Will see how it works. If I don’t like it, I will put it up for sale and may go for a Bandit.
Blessings

Back