• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Chipper size

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Website
Visit site
Grandson does summer jobs, gets loaner tools from grandpa.
He dumps on my compost pile (about 14/ acre pile back of house), but compost will be slow as it is all the full branches 6-8ft long.
Told him I'd watch for a chipper of decent size, already have a couple of 'toys', just 5 HP HO type, need something decent, enough to fill a 3/4 T PU or 4x10 trailer in a half hour or so
So, what is a decent size, 4 inch size likely biggest branch he would try to chip.
Have seen some decent deal on Bidadoo.
Recommendations for 'summer job' type, used, want to keep cost under say $3K, can repair if need be.

WmTreeCo.

WmTreeCo.

ArboristSite Member
Sounds like he's already hauling brush to your place?
He could make a bunch of neat piles and rent a big chipper for a day at the end of the season and chip it all.
Sounds like a 6" chipper would serve him well behind a 3/4 ton, but 3k wont get you very far around here on something like that.

I know some small time arborists use smaller 4" chippers that you can load into a trailer, but if your buying used, what's available in your area will be the deciding factor in what you get.

old CB

ArboristSite Guru
What you want and what you want to spend are too far away from each other.

The above suggestion to stage slash and rent a chipper every so often is your best option. Even a 6" chipper will be frustrating if you have much volume to feed thru it. A 12" drum chipper would serve you. But $3,000 would probably buy just a worn-out heap of trouble, unless you or grandson are a top mechanic with time on your hands.

Jonathon Masters

Jonathon Masters

ArboristSite Lurker
I found an old Peco 6" disk chipper when I first got started. It had been sitting for about 3 years but I thought I could get it going. I spent $1250 on the purchase, put new tires, belts, and fluids in it and got the motor running. About a week later the starter snapped clean off the block, so I put a Harbor Freight 22hp on it. Then the pump that ran the feed wheels went out. Finally I had replaced everything on it and it ran like a champ. Lol. It wasn't an auto feed so we had to manually reverse the feed wheels when the motor bogged, but we could easily run 4" branches threw it. All in all I had about $5000 in it, and hours of time working on it and searching the internet for parts. Once I was ready for a bigger chipper I could only get $2000 out of it. Sorry if that wasn't helpful just wanted to share my experience.