Chisel grinding and fileing. NOT SQUARE !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a Madsen's catalog
8b3275beea91ccb978173445977962e2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For decades , while both hand fileing and grinding chisel chain. As did every other bushel in camp. But, I never heard chisel grinding or fileing called square until fairly recently. Like the past 10 years or so.
A , Square is a real thing . its absolutely, perfectly , precisely 90° .
About the only thing that might be 90° on a chisel bit cutter is the out side angle of the side to top.
And I've NEVER dressed a stone or used a chisel file that was square . Or put anything square into the tooth.

For decades , while both hand fileing and grinding chisel chain. As did every other bushel in camp. But, I never heard chisel grinding or fileing called square until fairly recently. Like the past 10 years or so.
A , Square is a real thing . its absolutely, perfectly , precisely 90° .
About the only thing that might be 90° on a chisel bit cutter is the out side angle of the side to top.
And I've NEVER dressed a stone or used a chisel file that was square . Or put anything square into the tooth.
Wasn't the old round called chipper? Before that you chisel and chipper correct?

Wasn't the old round called chipper? Before that you chisel and chipper correct?

The original was chipper tooth configuration. Then they started making the chisel tooth.
Most of the old timers that broke me in and that I cut for . Started with 3/4 or 5/8 pitch chisel filed chisel bit.
I learned on Oregon 52 AJ . full skip 404 . But I was round filing chisel bit chain when I was a teen aged back east.

I always figured the distinction was between round-filed chisel and square-filed chisel. Same cutter, different file. Different grinder, too. Now that I think about it, while it might be a bit misleading to call it "square", it's still an important distinction and saves a bit of miscommunication.

For years I used a flat Oberg file for filing chisel bit chain. Nothing square about it. If you are filing right, you will just about have the tie strap filed in two when your chain starts throwing teeth. If anybody knows where there are some Obergs, I'd appreciate that info. I think chisel filing is a bit of a lost art.

For years I used a flat Oberg file for filing chisel bit chain. Nothing square about it. If you are filing right, you will just about have the tie strap filed in two when your chain starts throwing teeth. If anybody knows where there are some Obergs, I'd appreciate that info. I think chisel filing is a bit of a lost art.

My favorite file is a double end Oberg chisel file. They held up 3 to 1 over the Valhalla brand files. I've never used a Save Edge brand file to the best of my knowledge.

Ya, this square thing drives me nuts.
Heck o billy. Chisel bit chain was termed after a wood chisel.
I got several wood chisel and ain't a one of em any kind of square.
I wonder if Oberg went out of business ?
That would major Suck !

Hey Bob, how you doing ???

Great to see everyone from the old Long Bar Association coming thru.
Where's Randy Mac ?
Is Jacob still around ?
Any signs of Burv?

Does Oregon make chisel files ??
I need to get some goofy files.

They make 'em, sort of. They buy them in bulk from the same Brazilian vendors as everybody else. A few Swiss outfits still make their own -- Vallorbe? -- but mostly files are a commodity item these days.

Back