Chisel grinding and fileing. NOT SQUARE !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make 'em, sort of. They buy them in bulk from the same Brazilian vendors as everybody else. A few Swiss outfits still make their own -- Vallorbe? -- but mostly files are a commodity item these days.

My cuttin partner in Sitka got a box of Stihl brand double bevel chisel files that had Brazil stamped on them. I went thru 6 files filing 1, chain on his 064. Single worst files I've ever used in my life. The chain wasn't even rocked bad. Oregon chain too.
I would try 1 Brazilian file to see if they were still tempered like rubber.
Would never buy a box of them until I knew they would work.

To look at some Oberg files a guy would wonder how well they would work as they tended to have kinda wavy straight lines. But, the steel was good and Hard And tough so the teeth weren't always breaking off. Which was the problem with the Valhalla brand. The teeth of their files tended to be brittle.
I'll try some Bahco files. If I can find them.

"Copper River Valley"... where at? I've brought firewood out that way a few times. Copper Center, Glenallen, Tonsina, etc.

On the subject of sharpening...

Radiac bought out the old Pacific Grinding Wheel building, Picked up one of them white exter fine? wheels for the simington, just as good as the pacific wheels where, No pinks as yet though

They had a grey one that was hard as nails but clogged up extra fast, the white one seems softer, but doesn't clog and can do several chains before loosing the corner. The grinder came with a couple of Simmington branded blue wheels, didn't like em, clogged up and soft...

I remember the Pink Pacific wheels being pretty good for surface grinding, just haven't gotten a chance to use one for grinding chain, for now though I'm digging the white wheel.

On the subject of sharpening...

Radiac bought out the old Pacific Grinding Wheel building, Picked up one of them white exter fine? wheels for the simington, just as good as the pacific wheels where, No pinks as yet though

They had a grey one that was hard as nails but clogged up extra fast, the white one seems softer, but doesn't clog and can do several chains before loosing the corner. The grinder came with a couple of Simmington branded blue wheels, didn't like em, clogged up and soft...

I remember the Pink Pacific wheels being pretty good for surface grinding, just haven't gotten a chance to use one for grinding chain, for now though I'm digging the white wheel.
Saw a few salmon orange this morning at Woods down here always loved the wheel.
d4521d76669114a619ec5cca35979fb5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reminder -- I've got a Woods order in, gotta check Monday and see when it'll be ready for pickup. Turns out they're the only real saw shop I can use at work right now because of some weird gov't spending rules. I have them ship to their Longview store so that I don't have to drive through Seattle twice. It's about the same distance and almost no traffic, so I'll take it. I ordered a couple of the brown Silvey wheels for the 510, but I use the blue ceramic wheels on my RSII. THey're spendy but they're good.

Thanks for the reminder -- I've got a Woods order in, gotta check Monday and see when it'll be ready for pickup. Turns out they're the only real saw shop I can use at work right now because of some weird gov't spending rules. I have them ship to their Longview store so that I don't have to drive through Seattle twice. It's about the same distance and almost no traffic, so I'll take it. I ordered a couple of the brown Silvey wheels for the 510, but I use the blue ceramic wheels on my RSII. THey're spendy but they're good.
You're welcome to stop by I'm 5 miles or so from the Longview shop.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So what is the advantage of a square ground chisel over a round ground chisel chain? Does it hold its edge longer? Is it better in soft wood than in hard wood? What about dirty wood?

Seems like it's a roll of the dice these days, no matter what you buy. I've had weak Vallorbes and Vialas and Stihls, and strong stuff from Brazil. Pretty sure it's because files are a commodity market now and nobody wants to take the time to do them right.
"Copper River Valley"... where at? I've brought firewood out that way a few times. Copper Center, Glenallen, Tonsina, etc.

Glennallen. We've been here since 08

So what is the advantage of a square ground chisel over a round ground chisel chain? Does it hold its edge longer? Is it better in soft wood than in hard wood? What about dirty wood?
Chisel ground or filed chisel bit has the ability to be more efficient and therefore faster cutting than round filed chisel bit chain.

To look at some Oberg files a guy would wonder how well they would work as they tended to have kinda wavy straight lines. But, the steel was good and Hard And tough so the teeth weren't always breaking off. Which was the problem with the Valhalla brand. The teeth of their files tended to be brittle.
I'll try some Bahco files. If I can find them.

I couldn't find anywhere to buy 1 bacho, by the dozen only.....I didn't want to spend that much on a mystery.

I've been really happy with the Stihl branded 3 corner files lately.

Just a big pet peeve of mine.

There ain't nothing square about chisel fileing or grinding.

Calling chisel grinding or fileing square as opposed to round fileing is quite a dumbing down of a group of people not known for bright intellect.
Out of curiosity, what do you call the the bump that stands in front of the cutter?

I've actually used a few brown wheels on my first 450 Simington.
Pretty forgiving wheel to learn with. Wears fast . doesn't hold an edge for long. But. It got the job done. Hard to see the corner with tho.
I like the white but prefer the blue ceramic wheel.
The ceramic isn't forgiving at all. But, once a guy learns how to use one . They really are great.
I initially shape a new wheel with a single point dresser. Then take it out and put cluster dressers back in. Really let's a guy get a fine edge on the tooth.

Latest posts

Back