Chisel grinding and fileing. NOT SQUARE !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember seeing those (and almost buying one!) at Madsens before they went extinct. Also, can confirm that all 3 of my Silvey grinders (RSII, 510, HDG-6) have the same motor. Somebody should make new castings available so folks could build their own.

I remember seeing those (and almost buying one!) at Madsens before they went extinct. Also, can confirm that all 3 of my Silvey grinders (RSII, 510, HDG-6) have the same motor. Somebody should make new castings available so folks could build their own.
Like my pro sharp my dad got at OLC for less then what it'd probably cost for casting 50 of them. Also the big P&D has the same motor as well as my pro sharp as my old 500.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Realistically, from a manufacturing point of few, Billet and CNC housings etc would likely be cheaper. Not to mention leaps and bounds more accurate then the horrible sand cast versions, Die casting is outrageously expensive, but every bit as accurate as billet when done right.

Damnit someone else follow up on this, I'm out damn you and I like it here... Oregon are you listening?

Realistically, from a manufacturing point of few, Billet and CNC housings etc would likely be cheaper. Not to mention leaps and bounds more accurate then the horrible sand cast versions, Die casting is outrageously expensive, but every bit as accurate as billet when done right.

Damnit someone else follow up on this, I'm out damn you and I like it here... Oregon are you listening?
I wonder if the patents are even up on the designs yet.

I wonder if the patents are even up on the designs yet.

I think yes. Pretty sure somebody was making noise about buying the rights if they weren't but that was a good while ago and patents don't last anywhere near as long as it seems like they should.

Oregon are you listening?

I asked that very question last time I talked to the engineering folks, and they seemed puzzled that I would wonder why they sold chain that they didn't also sell maintenance tools for. Apparently this is one of those questions you just don't ask. Same goes for Stihl and HVA, I reckon.

I think yes. Pretty sure somebody was making noise about buying the rights if they weren't but that was a good while ago and patents don't last anywhere near as long as it seems like they should.

I asked that very question last time I talked to the engineering folks, and they seemed puzzled that I would wonder why they sold chain that they didn't also sell maintenance tools for. Apparently this is one of those questions you just don't ask. Same goes for Stihl and HVA, I reckon.
When I was down at the shop Jack still had brand new castings but like he said who's going to pay for them anymore, he also said they hadn't sold a chisel grinder in a couple years and that was a razor sharp.

All I know is I wan't a new Simmington, or really a less expensive version of one.

Old one works well enough, but its not nearly as adjustable as the newer models, and having a proper 110v 1/2hp motor would be a fair bit better then the 12v I have.

Granted the 12v works and all, but it takes for ever to get back up to speed.

Daaaang, a couple of years? It's not like there's no logging any more. This is an unexpected secondary (tertiary?) effect of the spotted owl decision -- as folks retire or otherwise move on, they are not passing on their knowledge. Chisel grind is not rocket science, but it's been a generation since "real" production stopped and the noobs have never heard of these arcane sciences. I did not expect this at all.

aving a proper 110v 1/2hp motor would be a fair bit better then the 12v I have.

Why not just fit a better motor to the base you have, or machine a new one?

Why not just fit a better motor to the base you have, or machine a new one?

Motors are expensive, and the base is very different, couple that with no longer having access to machine shop machinery, makes it a little difficult to do it right.

Mostly I'm liking the adjustable swing arm of the new ones, mine has 2 options, too steep, and steeper. So the top side of my teeth look more like a round file tooth, the the more squared off chisel we all know from factory stuff. That and the carbide tooth locator, that is fixed and not all goofy from one side to the other.

They cut pretty good I guess, but not what I would like them too cut like.

Motors are expensive, and the base is very different, couple that with no longer having access to machine shop machinery, makes it a little difficult to do it right.

I just bought a crappy milling machine. I'm teaching myself to use it. Holy hell, the tooling is gonna send me to the poorhouse.

I just bought a crappy milling machine. I'm teaching myself to use it. Holy hell, the tooling is gonna send me to the poorhouse.

Look into ENCO products, they where affordable, and not hazard fraught junk.

Stick with HSS tools for the time being as they are cheap, and you won't feel quite as bad detroying a bunch until you figure **** out...

And figure out spindle speeds...

Look into ENCO products, they where affordable, and not hazard fraught junk.

Stick with HSS tools for the time being as they are cheap, and you won't feel quite as bad detroying a bunch until you figure **** out...

And figure out spindle speeds...

Solid advice. My machine is a JET-16 so it's a round column mill, and the speed is controlled by belts. The guide is useless but I do have a laser tach so I'm figuring out the speeds on my own. Already ruined a couple of end mills going too slow -- funny thing about torque multiplication, no? -- and now I'm really just scrambling to get enough small bits of scrap metal to learn on. Already made a T-slot cleaner out of a railroad spike; surely a 2/3 scale gas turbine isn't far off.

Solid advice. My machine is a JET-16 so it's a round column mill, and the speed is controlled by belts. The guide is useless but I do have a laser tach so I'm figuring out the speeds on my own. Already ruined a couple of end mills going too slow -- funny thing about torque multiplication, no? -- and now I'm really just scrambling to get enough small bits of scrap metal to learn on. Already made a T-slot cleaner out of a railroad spike; surely a 2/3 scale gas turbine isn't far off.

Yeah, on one hand they put up with a lot, on the other its a fine line between production and breaking ****.

see if it will turn a 1/2 end mill, (600-1000 ripums through steel) its kind of my favorite size... then just feed it slow and smooth, making sure the chips are scooped out and away (conventional milling) rather then diving in and scooping towards material (Climb cutting).

Manual machining is quickly becoming a lost art. Sadly one I'm more then happy to abandon, though if ya need a hand or what eves...

Oh and keep tools short and stubby when possible, if you can break a 1/2x1/2 cutter without slamming it into something, your doing it wrong.

As a rule of thumb, never exceed 3 times the diameter of a cutting tool (not always possible, but its a pretty good rule)

And keep the quill in the fully up position, unless the table don't raise then lower the head if possible, everything short and solid is the idear

Back