Chisel grinding and fileing. NOT SQUARE !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm aware.

Just that one looks identical to my 451 minus the motor

Same castings, same chain guide, same stops, springs, same dressers. unless Simmington or silvey got sued over it, its pretty uncanny.

That and I though the Razur sharp wasn't a swing arm model?

I should prolly read what I've missed . But.
There was a lawsuit between Simington and Silvey. One invented, one copied. I think Simington invented and Silvey copied.
With the lawsuit. It spured Silvey to come up with the Razer Sharp ll , SDM4 and Pro Sharp. And probably other models.
The newer Silvey Swing Arm came out when Simington wasn't in business for a while.
At least that is how I remember it.

I should prolly read what I've missed . But.
There was a lawsuit between Simington and Silvey. One invented, one copied. I think Simington invented and Silvey copied.
With the lawsuit. It spured Silvey to come up with the Razer Sharp ll , SDM4 and Pro Sharp. And probably other models.
The newer Silvey Swing Arm came out when Simington wasn't in business for a while.
At least that is how I remember it.

Thought the SDM was Silvey's original from the 70's then the swingarm came out around the same time frame as Simington? I did see a Simington booth at OLC not much activity there, we heard a few guys complaining their quality has gone down hill

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Motors are expensive, and the base is very different, couple that with no longer having access to machine shop machinery, makes it a little difficult to do it right.

Mostly I'm liking the adjustable swing arm of the new ones, mine has 2 options, too steep, and steeper. So the top side of my teeth look more like a round file tooth, the the more squared off chisel we all know from factory stuff. That and the carbide tooth locator, that is fixed and not all goofy from one side to the other.

They cut pretty good I guess, but not what I would like them too cut like.

The steepness of either, top or side is controlled by the dressers. .
If your swing arm is Not adjustable for up and down and in and out. Then your grinder is a 450. The 451 has the adjustable swing arm.
Wether it's an A, B or C model.
The 451 A had the small motor.20171223_145225.jpg 20171223_145225.jpg

This is my 451A that the motor burned out on.

Thought the SDM was Silvey's original from the 70's then the swingarm came out around the same time frame as Simington? I did see a Simington booth at OLC not much activity there, we heard a few guys complaining their quality has gone down hill

The way I heard it was Simington sued Silvey.
BUT that was in a logging camp on Prince of Wales.
I do know that All my Simington grinders have had the patent numbers cast and or stamped on them . quite prominently.

Are new motors available for Silvey grinders ??

The way I heard it was Simington sued Silvey.
BUT that was in a logging camp on Prince of Wales.
I do know that All my Simington grinders have had the patent numbers cast and or stamped on them . quite prominently.

Are new motors available for Silvey grinders ??
Any motor shop can get them they're a standard size.

Interesting. Should still be easy enough to match shaft diameter and length to something you can cobble together as an adapter even if the motor were otherwise extinct.
Then you'd throw off wheel position which would throw off angles.

Longer shaft, and shims?
Possible I don't have an old enough one with that style motor, it was on the original SDM the housings are much larger vs my pro sharp, my old 510, and 3/4 P&D grinders. I know the super early SDM Mike was saying they were doing some machining to adjust some angles.

Latest posts

Back