Chlorotic leaves on Aesculus hippocastanum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Kist

Reaction score
Dear Friends,
Does anybody know if the chlorotic leaves (almost white) that you can sometimes see on the shoots on the stem of A. hippocastanum are caused by Amitrol, a triazine herbicide, or is there another explanation.

Greetings,
Jan Kist

Last edited:
read the label on Maritrol , im not familiar with it , did you use it on something under the tree or did you get spray drift on the leaves? Herbicides with 2-4-D can injure plant tissue when in contact but can also affect trees through the roots if they are drought stressed. Does it have 2-4-D in it ?

Who manufactures the herbicide? I can't find anything about it. Is that how it's spelled? Maritrol?

Nickrosis

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/products/picture_the_damage.html#2

this page states that Amitrol is a pigment inhibitor.

http://www.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/WS/WS-23.html

>>4. Chlorophyll/Carotenoid Pigment Inhibitors

Vivid white new growth, sometimes tinged with pink or purple, characterize the symptoms associated with the pigment inhibitors. New growth initially appears normal except for the conspicuous lack of green and yellow pigments. Uses include,
selective weed control in soybeans and cotton, poison ivy control, general vegetation control and aquatic weed control.

Amitrole is the only compound of this group which moves well in the symplast, however other compounds in the group show initial movement into shoot tips causing new growth to be devoid of green and yellow pigments.

clomazone---------COMMAND
amitrole----------AMITROL-T
norflurazon-------ZORIAL/SOLICAM
fluridone---------SONAR <<

I've raised my research fees, so please send $US90 check or IMO to my office address:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back