Choose one quick 066 660 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Only need to cut up a few trees with a 40" bar and have been offered a new 661c for a grand.

Have seen a couple near mint 066 and 660s for 8-900.

I got a grand to spend. Is the MS661c a good saw out of the box ?

What will hold the value best? Is mtronic a bad thing?

What would you do?

I wonder for just a few 40 inch trees, how many hours saw hiring a grand would buy? Probably be enough change to buy a nice 372.
What do 288's go for in your region?
Seeing as all you list are not new- none come with a warranty- I guess 660 is the safe option.
The first generation 661's were known to be problematic (least they were here) and hurt Stihls reputation something wicked until they sorted it out.
But with all used saw deals that are not from this site- take "mint" with a grain of salt, many a pig can be dressed up with lipstick, but underneath it is still a pig.

Only need to cut up a few trees with a 40" bar and have been offered a new 661c for a grand.

Have seen a couple near mint 066 and 660s for 8-900.

I got a grand to spend. Is the MS661c a good saw out of the box ?

What will hold the value best? Is mtronic a bad thing?

What would you do?

SP125C. :yes:
Still got it.
Thanks,
Ron

Do you need a 40" bar because the tree is 40" in diameter, or is the tree larger than 40" and you'll already be working from both sides?

- If the tree is 40" in diameter
- Considering that this need seems to be a one-off need
Why not spend the coin on a smaller saw with a 24" -ish bar?
Unless you're looking for a reason to buy a dirt bike engine with a handle... :rock2:

Rent or borrow one, any of them. The problem with trees that size is, "what do I do with this" afterwards. I have cut and had to get help in rolling them out of the way, into my trailer, or to the splitter, where I tip them over and hope they land on the anvil. Now I just don't cut them, at least for firewood.

There's been some very, very strange MS661 cylinder failures. They appeared, then disappeared. No explanation. Just told to replace the cylinder. Which is a new number.
Nothing is done to any M-tronic components. The magical calibration has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The system will relearn after a few uses anyway.
That tells me they had a load of defective cylinder and or pistons.
They will fix it. They always do.
But if the dealer is a moron, you may be told you had a lubrication problem.

Awesome answers guy's.
Have had both 066 and 660 but never a 661. THIS 661c IS BRAND NEW but sold by private party.
Don't know what year it was made yet.

A few of you might not know what CAD means maybe?
Rent one??? Hire someone? hahahahahaahha :ices_rofl:

just wanted to see if any real good reason to stay away from the 661 beside rebuild cost.
If I could find a new 660 for a grand today I would grab it.

Thanks again

Back