Choosing between Stihl and Echo backpack blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m buying a leaf blower, old Husqvarna is all worn out, I borrowed dads a couple times but whenever I go to use it he decides that was the day he wanted to. I am between a Stihl BR 800X magnum and an Echo PB-8010 T, can’t get a Husqvarna right now from my dealer and I am not going elsewhere. Never owned a Stihl product in this millennium so it’s as foreign to me as the echo. Both blowers are the largest made by their respective companies and are the same price, having a hard time as they aren’t rated exactly the same so it’s tough to look side by side. The Stihl seems to have a higher velocity at the nozzle but the echo seems to have a slightly higher CFM.... so I am conflicted.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/professional-blowers/br800x/

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Blowers/PB-8010T

The echo can make more mph with a smaller tube end
The echo is better but some prefer feel of stihl and the fanboys side with stihl
Kinda like a chevy ford thing where never admit the opposite side made a better product
Just my 2cents

I’ll also add, If the 8010 had been out when I upgraded about 3 years ago I would’ve bought it. I ran the br550 for 6 years and loved it. I moved to a property 5 times the size and needed something bigger. I sold the br550 for $325 and I bought the echo for around $400 on sale.

My buddy runs a wimpy husky 150 backpack, I messed with him yesterday about it. Sounds like a Harley, makes a lot of noise but doesn’t do a lot of work. I’m trying to get him to buy my 770 and I’ll get the 8010.

The stihl dealer called me back and couldn’t get the basic 800x but can get the one with side start, for an extra 50 bucks. I told him to order it.. next year they will likely come out with a 100 cc or something and i will be kicking myself.

All the contractors around here run the big redmax blower. I can assure you, they are one heavy SOB but they are one well-built unit. You can get them with the throttle on the small side arm which is the preferred set up.

I’m buying a leaf blower, old Husqvarna is all worn out, I borrowed dads a couple times but whenever I go to use it he decides that was the day he wanted to. I am between a Stihl BR 800X magnum and an Echo PB-8010 T, can’t get a Husqvarna right now from my dealer and I am not going elsewhere. Never owned a Stihl product in this millennium so it’s as foreign to me as the echo. Both blowers are the largest made by their respective companies and are the same price, having a hard time as they aren’t rated exactly the same so it’s tough to look side by side. The Stihl seems to have a higher velocity at the nozzle but the echo seems to have a slightly higher CFM.... so I am conflicted.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/professional-blowers/br800x/

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Blowers/PB-8010T
I bought the stihl BR 800 magnum I had the old 550 befor that and i was really impressd with the performance of the stihl,also when i bought it,if i bought a 6 pack of 2 cycle oil it added an additional 2 years of warranty..i thought that was a nice option..

I don’t know of any redmax dealers mear me, in fact i had never heard of redmax until now. What is the deal with it?

Here you go.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EF26500281803B666F15EF2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Most of the larger dealers around here carry Redmax as well as Stihl, Echo and Husky. Most do an open house sometime in the spring to get a quick boost in sales before the mowing season. You could get the largest redmax blower for under $500, this spring. For leaves, most folks take off the first section of the pipe. It is a simple twist lock. Dethatch, you put it back on. Redmax stuff don’t have a lot of bling to it. It looks very industrial but it does work well.

Just bought the br700x and it’s a good machine, with it beside my 430 you can definitely tell the difference in volume of air, but almost feels and looks like the 430 has more velocity. Think that just may be the smaller diameter outlet. Can’t remember what I paid for the 430 but in my opinion it’d be a great all around blower for a homeowner.

So, I had ordered the Stihl 800 with side start. Was supposed to be here last Thursday, got a call Friday saying I’d Ian arrive and shows as back ordered, don’t be hopeful for this season. So I called my Husqvarna/Echo/Shindaiwa easer to see if he could still get one, he can but it is the Shindaiwa Eb810/RT which he says is he same thing As the afore mentioned Echo.He said it’s going to be red, I told him I don’t care if it is SkyBlue pink with yellow polka dots as long as he can get it and has parts. He says he can , so hopefully Tuesday it will be here. I sincerely hope the comfort has improved in the last 13 years, I spent 7 hours with my dad’s Shindaiwa eb8510 (I think) on today and I am pretty stiff. It was supposed to be the biggest baddest at the time, starts a little hard these days, probably needs a going through.
on a separate note, I usually mix a little heavy, maybe 45:1 should I go heavier in a blower, as it runs wide open for hours on end?

Back