Chunking down a spar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrataTree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So its been a while since I've checked into Arboristsite, was away from the business for a while. My question is can anyone give me advice on making my chunks land nice and flat. Tired of spearing the ground with 15' chunks next to houses. Perhaps it is something that just comes with more time however any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

It I don't do a lot of removals...much more focused on pruning when I'm in the trees, but my take is: if it doesn't matter, let them fly. If it matters lower them down. 15' is pretty long to be dropping next to a house... I'll be interested to hear if others land those flat. I get 3-4' chunks to land flat... most of the time (when the don't, no big deal because if it really matters, I lower them).

1/5 of spar height with a 45 degree notch will do a 270 degree rotation and land flat as a pancake. Thanks to Mr. Beranek for figuring this out.
That's just the info I was looking for, thanks. I will try this tomorrow. We do about 80-90 % removals so I will get lots of practice. Also ATH is right about the size being rather large. I've gotten better at getting the shorter chunks to land flat but as this is production work my boss would like to see me go bigger. My old boss used to say, "small pieces small problems", so I've gotten sort of used to just keeping everything manageable, now I've been feeling pressure to speed things up a bit by taking larger pieces and well I just don't want to get in over my head and have a large chunk land wrong and tip over onto a hot tub or go through a window or a wall :)been lucky a few times recently...
Thanks for the responses! Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!!!

Well that is indeed a magic formula! Performed a good size pine removal on Friday and got every chunk to land nice and flat! Thanks again greengreer for sharing that info. Feel like my spar skills just advanced a level! :)

Back