Clearing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna clearing saw and I want to clear some raspberry bushes with it and I would like to have the proper blade for this purpose.
I have the saw blade installed on it now and I want to install what they refer to as the brush blade but there are six different blades and my dealer doesn`t know what the difference is between the blades.
The two I have seen at my dealers have three and four blades so my question is ... what`s the difference between the three and four blade brush blades?
Thanks!

brushBlade_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Not much difference between the 3 and 4 tooth blades. I used to use the 8-tooth blades waaaaaay back when I had a lawn business and did that type of work. Either keep a spare blade with you or else a flat file for sharpening them. I used to sharpen them on my bench grinder and used them forever.
Saw a guy slip while clearing a lakefront and cut through his sneaker and lost 2 toes. Boots (preferably steel toe) are a MUST for running brush blades.

It almost looks like they`re designed to drop the brush where it`s cut using the short four bladed job or toss them right clear using the longer three bladed jobby but I`m just guessing.
Any idea as to how the string attachment might work with wild raspberries?

Last edited:
I recently cleared wild blackberries from a section of land where machinery couldn't access. It was about an acre that was totally taken over by 6-7' high vines.

The 4 tooth blade worked OK but what worked great was a long handled hedge trimmer attachment. (I have the Echo multi purpose power head). A long handled hedge trimmer is much more efficient at slicing thru this miserable bramble.

The blade shown in the attached picture file does a great job on control of blackberries and most types of brush (willow, etc.) File with a chain saw file as the cutters are standard type.
We don't have it listed on our web page yet but it is in stock and available. www.mychainsaw.com

Go with the 3 point Brush Knife. It is MUCH heavier duty than the 4 or 8 tooth Grass Blades. Just hold them in your hand and feel the weight difference and the thickness of the steel. The 3 pt Brush knife is a very aggressive blade that will rip through berry vines, etc. like you won't believe.

Well that`s good news, I bought the three blade wheel from the dealer.
He didn`t know what the difference was and when I asked if he could phone the manufacturer he said he had already tried that and they told him to refer to his dealers book which doesn`t have any information with regard to the different blades. The four blade cutter is in the book but it hasn`t got a price list so he says he can`t get it.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Even though the 'recommended' use for the 8 tooth blade was 'heavy grass', I found that I could cut down 2" saplings with it!:D (I was never much for following suggestions!) It was hard on the weedeater though, but I had a fairly heavy duty weedeater. Does anyone remember the Echo 300AE? I agree that the thicker blades will be better, regardless of the tooth count. I bought a cheapo no-name brand once and it cracked on me!

The worst part about the blades is that they don't throw the debris out of your way. Everything just lays down on top of where you are trying to cut. Don't bother trying to use the ones with the 3 plastic blades though, they are worthless.

Last edited:
Back