Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I FOUND ONE!
Last week I got a call from a kid who is 23, said he had 11 years on the job, 8 in the saddle. "Wait a minute" I said "your only 23, how is that possible" turns out, his step dad owns a company,made him start working when he was 11, said he had to work every summer, and after school till dark, step dad put him in a saddle when he was 14, mom and step-dad are getting the big D, says its real bad, gotta cut all ties "cant be around some one who treats my mom like trash". So I have him come to the yard, talk with him, then tell him to show me what he can do out back on a HUGE Bur Oak I have, right up he went, told him to walk a branch, does it with style! Kid admits he really doesn't know much about trees, wants to learn real bad, always climbed with gaffs, very little foot-locking, no problem, we can teach that, tells me, his step dad was a topper and didn't care about trees at all, just the money, so he never learned the right way.No problem, I can teach all that as-well, had him start on Wednesday on 2 dead Red Oaks, Showed him the gear I have, gave him the crew and watched. Kid is AWESOME! Flawless victory on the Job. The crew, real skeptical at first, not anymore!
SO, I guess throwing an add on craigslist wasn't that bad of an idea! Another week of good stuff, and I will give him the crew and tell him to grab the ball and run. Well see, if he is what I am hoping he is, I will be able to take this to the next level. Was worried about him "spying" as I know his step-dad, and he is a real piece of work. After kid tells me about the divorce, surprised there was no physical violence, I don't think hell ever go back, whether it works out with me or not. Climbing at 14, WOW. I have no doubt that he is telling the truth, I know kids here that are running combines at that age. I would not even consider putting one of my boys on the rope at that age, rec climbing, sure, in a saddle, on a job, with a saw, NO-WAY! However, as wrong as it was, I'm glad he did!

Coming up on 30 years old and 18 years in the saddle myself. My brother and I didn't start small either, 670 Jonsered was the climbing saw, and the largest/tightest trees around are what we climbed and still do, with modern techniques and gear of course.

First we honed our saw skills on firewood, climbed a few trees at home to learn how to tie in, then we took it to the air at 12 years of age. I did 5' dbh trees start to finish at that age, have some pictures somewhere too. Not bragging of course, but trees are easy these days. I know much more and the gear is so comfortable and ergonomic.

Really, if you can spike climb, make a humbolt notch, tie a bowline and running bow, friction hitch and you are in business. Nothing better for motivated adventurous young man to be doing.

Sounds like you found a good guy.

You didn't happen to party in Wildwood around 1978?
I did the same thing. On Wednesday i would drive to wildwood after work partied till 3 am. Drive home and was at work by 7am. Went right back down Thursday same thing. Those were the times,can't even drink a 6 pack after work now without feeling like crap the next day,

Nah , we were sea isle dwellers , at the OD , my boss had a house there all summer ... He knew what we were doing but he was doing the same thing .. I hadn't graduated from high school til 94' so any trips to Wildwood in 78' would have been in a stroller ..

Coming up on 30 years old and 18 years in the saddle myself. My brother and I didn't start small either, 670 Jonsered was the climbing saw, and the largest/tightest trees around are what we climbed and still do, with modern techniques and gear of course.

First we honed our saw skills on firewood, climbed a few trees at home to learn how to tie in, then we took it to the air at 12 years of age. I did 5' dbh trees start to finish at that age, have some pictures somewhere too. Not bragging of course, but trees are easy these days. I know much more and the gear is so comfortable and ergonomic.

Really, if you can spike climb, make a humbolt notch, tie a bowline and running bow, friction hitch and you are in business. Nothing better for motivated adventurous young man to be doing.

Sounds like you found a good guy.[/QUOTE

Jon told me , his dad had him draggin brush at 11! Had a climber no sho him one day a few years later, Jon was 14, dad made him go up!

i ll doit all, best part

If I have to I will , If I can have a guy dragging brush , praise God.
Do you come down and back up every time you need to refuel, and what about lowering , or pulling over tops? I found the 10 dollars an hour to have a guy on the ground is well worth

I told the guy I was with last year I couldnt keep going cuz it was to far to drive but I would stay on till he found a replacement. Craiglist was fun. He didnt interview, It was get up there and show me what you got. Saw guys put the saddle on backwards, spikes on the outside of the legs. Funny stuff. They all went home and I got stuck there for another month. Thinking about hiring a climber myself. Having a bit of a falling out with one guy, but he dont know it yet. Thinks he know it all. He knows just enough to get himself killed, and he refuses to get a CDL. Little ##### has this you must be rich cuz you own a bunch of old junk attiude, has no respect for what I had to do to get there.

You should write all those 'things' down and write a book using the outline. It'd make for some good bathroom reading.....like the Darwin Awards book I'm reading in there on occasion! Oh crap, it'd be the same thing.......

Scott B

It can't be any different than climbing grain bins! All thatstuff gets in the way! Good stuff, amazing the ignorance and willingness to die. you know as well as I that every time up you have to have respect for the danger, each time up could be your last. It's funny but the guy who has court might be your best bet! Good Luck in your search for the ultimate bin climber.

It can't be any different than climbing grain bins! All thatstuff gets in the way! Good stuff, amazing the ignorance and willingness to die. you know as well as I that every time up you have to have respect for the danger, each time up could be your last. It's funny but the guy who has court might be your best bet! Good Luck in your search for the ultimate bin climber.

Wow !! Your first post and ready to show what an Idiot you are! You could at least say 'Hello' before you say tree climbing any different than grain bin's.
Welcome to the site, dumb ass.
Jeff :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back