Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
So I have put out a couple adds out for a climber, here and locally.
Had no Idea what I was gonna get!
Here are just of few of the crazy things I heard.

1. "What kind of saddle? I don't ride horses"

2. "what kind of saddle? you mean the thing that those guys wear at Home Depot up in those lift things"

3. "I been doin da tree work for 14 years, so...........ah, whats up, when do I start, I have court on Monday so it cant be then."

4. "I climbed up in grain bins,cant be much different"

5." I don't use rope or a saddle, I free climb, all that stuff just gets in the way"

I didn't know what to expect when I listed those adds. But I didn't expect that. A little scary, as I know that there are other company's around that hire anyone who isn't afraid of heights! I climbed for a lot of years, still go up on small stuff, and up in the bucket, and I still am a little nervous when I'm up there. Cannot believe these guys are willing to do something so dangerous, without knowing what they are getting into. Most of them are desperate to feed the kids and will do anything to make money. I felt real bad for a couple guys, they seem genuine enough, wish I had a lot of money to hire them for whatever around the shop. Of course I had a few topper/hacks meth heads apply, but yet to find "that guy"

Last edited:
I did some work in DesMoines and needed a climber and called Johns tree service he sent a climber out. I think his name was Dwight he was a great climber and profesional.

Seems like every dude that has ever even laid eyes on a yard sale saddle fancies himself a climber.. then you have the new school gadget geeks that have been brainwashed by the bigger companies, that think they're a climber, but are like teets on a bull up there.. then there are just the general dirtball losers of course.

Good luck in your search though! :cheers:

i think what makes a good climber is one who has a good attitude, safety is top priority, understands areal chainsaw usage, knows woods reactive forces, knows life support knots, rigging knots, understands both Ddrt and srt systems, does what he is told and doesn't argue with the boss.

oh i forgot one, he buys the beers at the end of the day :)

certification crap

iam not certified in nothing, i climb trees since i was 10, so it did my father,certifications are a waste of ur hard earn money, and employers that request that crap, are morrons, btw, i make 50 to 150 an hour from my house, and the best part, certification papers wouldnt be good not even to wipe my ass

iam not certified in nothing, i climb trees since i was 10, so it did my father,certifications are a waste of ur hard earn money, and employers that request that crap, are morrons, btw, i make 50 to 150 an hour from my house, and the best part, certification papers wouldnt be good not even to wipe my ass
and yes, i am more climber than a bunch of big company idiots

and yes, i am more climber than a bunch of big company idiots
get urself a nice stihl saw, some good gear, and fire ur boss, get a darm trailer, and start little, and become all u can be, dont be afraid, no chipper, no problem, grow balls, work hard, anybody can doit, good luck

get urself a nice stihl saw, some good gear, and fire ur boss, get a darm trailer, and start little, and become all u can be, dont be afraid, no chipper, no problem, grow balls, work hard, anybody can doit, good luck

Hey I know you, you lived under a bridge and used to mess with a bunch of goats!

You are an Idiot and should not even be here! :censored:
Jeff :)

I like number 3 the best - (time off to go to court). Some of the best climbers I know have extensive criminal records. Great guys and very professional, but have a thing about getting in trouble. Always thought it just goes with the attitude for the job.

Well with such a short list of post....

Let me be the first to welcome you to AS. Just so ya know we only like the people who truly put it out there and tell how they really feel. So come on unclog the crapper and let it flow.

I felt real bad for a couple guys, they seem genuine enough, wish I had a lot of money to hire them for whatever around the shop. Of course I had a few topper/hacks meth heads apply, but yet to find "that guy"

Hiring in this industry is like winnowing chaff, you have to toss a lot up into the air to see what stays with you. I am to the point where if someone tells me they are real good climber I tell them I will believe it when I see it.

Need me to come out for a couple days out of the month to fill in for a while?

I might JPS, I'll call you.I have been waiting for the right guy to come along, I have a large Oak in the back we need to take down, was saving it as a "interview station". When they come over, I will piont to a branch, a hard one, tell him to get it on the ground, stand back and watch.

I think that JEO...whatever, is one of the guys that called me!
I suspect that he is one of those fake identity's, created by one of our top posters, trying to have a little fun.
If not, and he is real, I think we just found the very person we all talk about, we should exploit his knowledge while he is here. Think about it guys, when is the next time you'll get to have such knowledge and experience come our way, we have a lot we could learn from him.

Last edited:
The more I think about this, as ignorant as he sounds, and right off the bat he is using the quote option, saying all the right things, misspelled and no grammar what so ever, but spelled Stihl correctly! I smell a fakie!
Someone is trying to get us fired up again!

Matt, you have your own deal over there? Work for someone, or are you a hired gun? I'm in the QC

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back