Climbing a tall spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vuotto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Spruce tree that is about 50' or so high and I have climbed up before using the branches like a ladder and working my way around. I know this is probably not the right way or the safest way, but it works.

I've seen some guys on youtube climbing and it seems lilke their rope is already tied on the top of the tree at the start of the video. I have no tree tree climbing training, just a lot of experience and no safety gear. If I'm to go about this the right way, do I first climb up, and set my rope then come down and climb up with my gear on using the rope? What is the proper and safe way ?

Thanks,

Brian

If I'm to go about this the right way, do I first climb up, and set my rope then come down and climb up with my gear on using the rope?
Well, that is definitely NOT the safe way. I don't know why you wish to climb the tree, and I really don't care why. But before you try it, get a copy of the booklet titled "Tree Climber's Companion" and read it forward, backward and sideways. You won't understand it completely the first time you read it ... so keep reading it (and Googling things you don't understand) until you understand all the explanations described therein ... that's the best place to start.

I have no tree tree climbing training, just a lot of experience and no safety gear.

Without training or safety gear your "experience" means very little. I don't want to put you down, just keep you safe (and alive).

Get the book mentioned by Hoowasat, get safety gear, get a mentor/teacher, get some practice, then (and only then) get experience.

it perplexes me that Brian has climbed up his spruce tree. Perhaps repeatedly.
The "why" deserves equal consideration to the "how"

it perplexes me that Brian has climbed up his spruce tree. Perhaps repeatedly.
The "why" deserves equal consideration to the "how"

It does not perplex me.

There's several giant sequoia in this town that are 100 ft. tall or more with branches continuous all the way to the top. I've looked often thinking how much fun it would be to get in one and just climb the branches like a ladder all the way to the top. I wouldn't tell someone it's the safe way to climb. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel any more danger doing that myself than walking down the street on the sidewalk.

Just haven't got around to it yet.

Back