Climbing Friction Knots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your preferred climbing/positioning knot?

• Blake's Hitch

Votes: 53 32.1%
  • Distel (screwed up Schwabisch)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Knut or TK (Knut with a twist)

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Martin (Blake's on a split tail)

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Prusik

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Schwabisch (top heavy prusik)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Taughtline Hitch

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • TK (Knut with a twisted bight)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VT or other French Prusik derivative

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
i use a modified Sailor's Gripping Hitch; the last shown in this examination of the similarities of the base coil (4 uninterrupted turns = coil, 3 is Dbl. Round Turn, 2 is Round Turn, 1 is Turn) with a previous grab/ buffer of a differing type of half hitch mechanic (typically). VT/MT breaks the mold; with a preceding gauntlet of braids bending the host lifeline like a rappelling rack does; but to serve the same function i think, of a previous grab before the coil grab. A Tautline and Rolling Hitch/Midshipman's offer only a Round Turn; then a back-up to make RT work.

The Tautline and Blake's are 'open hitches" in that they only use 1 of the Equal/opposite ends of the hitching device/cord/tail to connect load to hitch in a 'linear' or more properly bent linear/ choke fashion; these should have stopper knots for live cargo. Most the other friction hitches we think of are 'closed hitches' using both ends of the hitching/cord to connect hitch to load(you); in a basket (though a leveraged/bent basket, not a straight legged one)type fashion (stronger).

i stay with the bottom 3 hitches pictured of this mostly self tending set, the last has evolved to the BackHand Hitch (muenter in yellow) finish shown, only more so; by the tail of the Backhand hitch reeving back down the the RT of the other leg. Kinda persnickity, must get good coil on top; great, responsive self tender IMLHO.

That is for my lifeline; that i figured ye asked about. As a lanyard adjuster (instead of my microscender) i choose a Distel tied directly to sideD {Old VT setup shown for this}; with lanyard reeved thru; so that D is mount for hitch, and tends hitch too. Straight Frenchie for compression jigs piggy backed onto a rigging line(so easy a groundie can do it).

But then i prefer flat Tenex for lifeline friction hitch; and round cord as device for lanyard and rigging line; so whut do i no?

attachment.php

Notice how the Schwab has just the final Half Hitch reversed from Distel (after coil grab of each). Icicle very similar to Schwab; with 1 lil'flip difference that gives the self tending capacity. A TK similar to Knut; only the final Half Hitch of KNut is converted to a Marl in TK. If you slide a Half Hitch off a spar, it melts into nothing, a Marl slid off leaves more of an overhand knot in line.

Another Project

TreeCo said:
The Martin looks real interesting. I'm going to give it a try and see how it compares to the vt. I do like how some tress cord knots hang on the climbing rope by themselves.

attachment.php

I like the looks of it too. I think I may have tried it w/o knowing exactly what it was..:laugh: Thanks for the picture. Will have to try it again while knowing what to call it.

Tried out the Martin today instead of my VT.... The martin surprised me, it was very smooth, even smoother then the VT. I used a 3/8 tenex eye an eye on velocity.... my new vote goes to the Martin

JEff B said:
Tried out the Martin today instead of my VT.... The martin surprised me, it was very smooth, even smoother then the VT. I used a 3/8 tenex eye an eye on velocity.... my new vote goes to the Martin

This is the Hitch I as trying to explain to you, with no visual demonstration, at our Grand Opening. Great isnt it? Sometimes you have to reach up with your thumb and flick the top wrap of the 4 coils, after it has been loaded and unloaded a few times.

Is Treeseer the only one that knows how to spell Tautline the way it is suppose to be spelled.

Ax-man said:
Is Treeseer the only one that knows how to spell Tautline the way it is suppose to be spelled.

The best you can add to this thread is pointing out who spelled taut correctly.

Thank you i feel better now knowing the correct spelling.:clap:

ggttp said:
The best you can add to this thread is pointing out who spelled taut correctly.
Well, I've made my mark; time to put up the books and go fishing.:blob2:

Seriously Ax, MB used to call it a tauntline, someone else called it a taughtline. Both work for me; as long as we know what's meant, no need to critique. There may be some Freudianism going on with the misspelling too, because I thought mb was taunting those who taunted him for praising the knot, while once some simple-minded people are taught the tautline, they don't see the need to learn anything else.:jester:

But the pictures are nice. :popcorn:

I've tried each and every hitch on this poll, to put it in a nutshell the only one that does not lock-up when loaded and will release on que is the VT and the many different ways it can be tied. PERIOD!!!! IMO !!!! The VT is the best hitch that has come unto the climbing scene all the others will basically get tight the longer they are worked on a rope, not so with a VT. The bridge on a VT never has to broken to get the top coils to loosen up so you can advance on it or descend on it.

Is this a good enough contribution !!!!!

The author of the thread stated he got his hitches from the I.S.A. article authored by Marc Adams I am sure he didn't print taughtline.

That is a GOOD play on words Treeseer, I like it:hmm3grin2orange: Ok I'll lighten up. It just bugs me though, when the word taughtline pertaining to the hitch is slaughtered like that, taunt I can handle. The purpose of the hitch is to hold hold the host rope taut or tight ( guessing on this one) not taught as if to teach the rope to stay taut.

Ax-man said:
[...]
The author of the thread stated he got his hitches from the I.S.A. article authored by Marc Adams I am sure he didn't print taughtline.

You are correct, Mark Adams (that's how the article prints his name anyway), spelled it tautline. We can all sleep better now knowing the proper way to spell tautline. Please except my humble apology for offending your spelling sensibilities.

Blinky said:
You are correct, Mark Adams (that's how the article prints his name anyway),
To be even more accurate, Mark spells his name Mahk sometimes and says it that way too. Even though he's in Atlanta he still talks like he's in Boston.

Chip I hope you get a minute to send those pics this morning--mistletoe and soil and client shots. Also those strange bark growths on the tuliptree would be a good thread--maybe someone has a better guess than we did.

Was taught the tautline when the tautline was all there was to teach.

Then came the split-tail, a revelation!

Then the Blake's, an nonunraveling revelation. (Still backed it up with a stopper, some good habits are hard to break.)

But it's the VT for me, 3 over: 3 braids, once you dial it in, it's flawless on release, never fails to catch.

The only spot it's not my fave it a long body thrust, well advised to footlock(pantin) instead.

About the only thing I don't like about the Valdotaine Tresse is that it's name sounds like something a hairdresser ought to be doing.

Which is why we all just call it the VT.

RedlineIt

Ax-man said:
I've tried each and every hitch on this poll, to put it in a nutshell the only one that does not lock-up when loaded and will release on que is the VT and the many different ways it can be tied. PERIOD!!!! IMO !!!! The VT is the best hitch that has come unto the climbing scene all the others will basically get tight the longer they are worked on a rope, not so with a VT. The bridge on a VT never has to broken to get the top coils to loosen up so you can advance on it or descend on it.

Is this a good enough contribution !!!!!
It's about time you made some kind of contribution to this site. Heehehe...

I agree for the most part. I tried the martin hitch and found it to behave exactly like the distal and other hitches mentioned. The advantage is you can tie it so there is a short throw and there's no need to tune it, the disadvantage is it locks up pretty tight so it's hard to pull slack through the fair lead.
Axe, have you tried a regular old prussic? Take 6 or 7 wraps and then bring the tail down over the wraps and attach it back to the biner.

Mike Maas said:
Axe, have you tried a regular old prussic? Take 6 or 7 wraps and then bring the tail down over the wraps and attach it back to the biner.

No, I haven't, thought about it but have never gotten around to it. It would be like adding a coil or two to a VT but no braids, that right??

Are you onto something that your not sharing? like maybe were on the threshold of a new knot that is going to be called the M&M climbing hitch.

It's not my hitch, it's just a prussic hitch, they've been around since a few years after ropes were invented. I noticed a picture of Mark Chisolm (sp) using it during a competition he won a few years back, and thought I'd give it a run. It works well. Very much like a VT, with shorter legs, and easier to tune.
And your discriptions are correct, VT with just loops and no crosses.

Back