Climbing Friction Knots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your preferred climbing/positioning knot?

• Blake's Hitch

Votes: 53 32.1%
  • Distel (screwed up Schwabisch)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Knut or TK (Knut with a twist)

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Martin (Blake's on a split tail)

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Prusik

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Schwabisch (top heavy prusik)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Taughtline Hitch

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • TK (Knut with a twisted bight)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VT or other French Prusik derivative

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
martin

just tried today i like better than distel:rock:

Last edited:
(WLL) said:
just tried today i like better than distel:rock:

Great hitch huh?? My favorite. Rememebr at the inventors request he wnats it to be called a Michoacan, he is a very shy person and doesnt want anything named after him.

TreeCo said:
Seven wrap prussic.

attachment.php

I like the look of that knot..

its the same knot lee, if anything i take a wrap less up top

To properly tie a knot or hitch there are three steps, tie, dress, set.
I tried to teach Spyder this, but he continues to tie his scafold knots wrong. He ties and sets, but forgets to dress. He tried to explain to me once why he ties them wrong, but I didn't understand, something about leverage...:D

Anyway, TreeCo's prussic is not dressed quite the way I like it so it becomes sort of a VT, only the crosses don't go over and under. A proper VT goes over and under, the top rope does not stay on top.
This is what a properly tied, dressed, and set, five wrap prussic looks like, or at least that's what I call it.

attachment.php

How does that hitch perform Mike ??? Have you tried the hitch with any other cord besides that UltraTech. Think we can get TreeSeer to try this one out, it is easy enough to tie .

Larry

The two pics show that fine point of what Mike says. The 'top' braid (the one coming off the top and going down vertically) comes around back and wraps tight against the climbing line. The other braid comes around back and presses against the 'top' braid, causing the climbing line to do a slight sigmoid (mild 's' or a slight curve in an otherwise straight line), but this little nuance is really the high point of whether you have a top-performing VT or a 'sort of a VT'.

Good one, Mike.

That's a new one on me.

I'll give it a spin on 11 mm single line and see if it has a chance of becoming something more than a backup hitch.

Who introduced that, TreeCo?

Latest posts

Back