Climbing Friction Knots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your preferred climbing/positioning knot?

• Blake's Hitch

Votes: 53 32.1%
  • Distel (screwed up Schwabisch)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Knut or TK (Knut with a twist)

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Martin (Blake's on a split tail)

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Prusik

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Schwabisch (top heavy prusik)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Taughtline Hitch

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • TK (Knut with a twisted bight)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VT or other French Prusik derivative

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Hoping someone can save me some 'experimental' time. I'm interested in trying out the VT and all my climbing line is Arbormaster. Does one cord or another work best on it? Thanks in advance.

I use ArborMaster rope, I have found Samson cords to work the the best on these ropes. Ultra -Tech works good but is almost impossible to cut, self made cords with the fisherman knots work better than the spliced one you can buy, Samson's equivilent to Sta-Set is their 3/8th's Stable Braid I have liked this one the best on my Blue Streak (ArborMaster) rope, it is hard to find this cordage. I think Tennex is a Samson product also, been a long while since I have used it for a hitch cord, it does OK too only seems to get kind of wimpy after a while and seems to wear quick.

I am not a big Sta-Set fan myself, I haven't had all that good of luck with it on my Samson ropes , I have tried it on all 3 different types I have. Sta-Set is a good cord it, many climbers like it, I just haven't had all that good of luck with it is all.

The one thing you have have to watch when you use a VT as a hitch is the heat build up in the cord from too fast of a decent out of a tree. No cord will be any good for any length of time if you allow the cord to build up heat on the way down.

Hope this helps a little

Larry

Last edited:
hooked on phonics

in my life it was not the school but more the student. i dont think any new climbers will want to get any thing from your posts anyway because there not educational and more like spam and a bunch of meaningless comments. u r right we spoke before and i realized we are on a completely different book. i use AS is a learning sight nothing more. i think u have major short term memory loss of just full o ****. maby u should apply at wesspur as the people over there are all to common. u know what im saying! are ya still working 4 spikes tree CARE pruning apples & dogwoods? do me a huge favior and stop talking to me as i only learned 1 thing from u and i rather not say. besides if u aint got nothing nice to say dont say it at all. you only pi$$ me off with any of your comments and seem 2 like putting words in my mouth and sticking your mouth where it dont need 2 b.the first thing u said to me on AS was i need 2 invest in some good equipment/tools/hooks. u got no clue
so please if u are any kind a decent fella just leave me alone! thanx WLL

Hooked on phonics.............. worked for me!:laugh:

Any cord will work, as long as it's strong enough. I like 5/16" but a lot of guys use 3/8".
If you climb on a cambium saver, the will be a lot more weight on your hitch, almost twice as much as without one, so you'll eat up cords faster. In this case I'd suggest some Bee-line or HRC.
Personally, I like the Ultra-tech. It has a technora core with a polyester cover. What I like is the cover seems thicker and stiffer than Sta-set or other double braids I have tried.
Cords with a softer lay seem to lock up more than I like.

Good info!

I appreciate everyones experience/knowledge/input...very valuable information! I'm kind of excited to 'improve' on my climbing system. One more question: is the VT effective when choking around conifer spar as backup lanyard? Split tail w/Blakes seems so good at this because the bridge can be way shortened.

The VT works fine for me when using it as a second tie in, a Blakes will let you get in a little closer but if you need to get in that close your sacrificing working space to manage a chainsaw safely.

Larry

i was wondering, how well Blake works compared Taughline. .

Treeman67

I climb with a blake's (w/stop knot). on a split tail. I've tried the tautline once on a rainy day and never again! Thought I was going to have to cut my climb line to get out of the tree.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Last edited:
I like the tautlin hitch and my rope is so cheap that i just tail tie.Besides I tried split tail once and forgot it was a seperate piece of rope.Tailtied for me.

I started using a 2 over 2 tautline when we only had triplex. i do all climbing with 1/2 in rope. I still use it on braided rope, but some are over 1/2 inch and I use 3 over 2.

I use a Blakes hitch and or a Prusik hitch. I often use a Prusik in a "Texas Kick" configuration for my feet if I have a long ascent to do.

Latest posts

Back