climbing leaner and branch walking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
question to pro's out there
how do you approach this removal ?
buildings under the tree, gotta rig every branch
i was thinking of using tip tie take down, but im being a chicken and its about time i face the reality and start climbing branches/limbs
good start to get used with the tricks of trade
thanks in advance, stay safe fellas

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-09-11-22-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-09-11-22-17.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_2018-07-09-11-21-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-09-11-21-59.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 72
my concern is how do i go up this branch
i tried spurring from top of the lean but find myself fighting from swaying left to right on another tree similiar species

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-09-11-22-17_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-09-11-22-17_1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 47
Is that an ailanthus, Tree of Heaven?

Very brittle mate.

Not a tree to take chances with if you're unfamiliar with em.

I'd prolly piece it out, cut n chuck.

Looks like you've got a decent TIP.

Find a climber familiar with ailanthus characteristics.

Jomoco

they are known as tower tree in my region not sure if thats the tree
abit brittle, soft wood though
my TIP will be the center branch, and 2nd TIP is the leaning branch
should i branch walk with that setup ?

Looks like an easy tree to piece out tied into the central leader.

I'd butt tie any branch too heavy to cut catch n chuck.

You are gaffing it, right?

I'd brush it with a handsaw first, then a trimsaw for the wood.

If you're a beginner? Sub it to a pro, and watch n learn.

Jomoco

I'd make a mattress outta the brush, then chuck the wood down on top of it, to prevent divots in the lawn.

You don't want to seriously shake an ailanthus anymore than you have to, IME.

Like a spider, relieving weight with minimal shake.

Jomoco

That is always an option too, to make a cushion of branches on the bottom of the tree.and drop the wood straight down. Jomoco is right about not shaking the tree to much. It does look kinda thin. Be safe and good luck

If you're looking at just setting a line at the tip, and don't want to climb out on the limb, you could use a pole pruner to set your tip-tie from wherever you're comfortable then just tie the running bowline and pull it tight. I've heard pole pruners called "chicken sticks". This seems like another good reason to chicken out of a limb walk.

If you're looking at just setting a line at the tip, and don't want to climb out on the limb, you could use a pole pruner to set your tip-tie from wherever you're comfortable then just tie the running bowline and pull it tight. I've heard pole pruners called "chicken sticks". This seems like another good reason to chicken out of a limb walk.
I prefer sissy stick

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Be carefully dropping logs onto other logs/limbs they can get a crazy bounce and hit people/property

how do i spike the leaning branch with spur ? do i have to climb under the lean ?
Stay on top. sometimes we kinda go up the side if we are using our climb line to support us as we go up or down a leaning piece and the angles are correct. Your case won't allow that... really the only time we go on the bottom is if the piece being cut is being pulled against the lean, where you would be standing if you were on top. Getting back on top can take a lot more effort than in may seem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Had a stand down today over a worker snapping out of an alantis be careful. I hired climbers that we're good teachers watched a bunch from ground had then watch me and got in trees togethrr. For me. It took climbing at work and my own business after work til dark and 12+ hrs sat and Sunday for almost a year to get bad a in a tree... Alot of times it's longer

Id stand in that crotch get a bite on those twigs with my pruner keeping the bite tight whilst breaking back several small branches to reduce end weight. Those stinky trees are snappy like willow easy to break back. It is a technique I pull outta the bag at times. Done correctly the pruner head is a bit embedded and the pruner's pull rope is kept taunt to hold on to the branch as you bring it to you. They can then be thrown where you can or hung on loop runners and lowered in a cluster "just sayin"

Staying upright while limb walking's a matter of keeping your climbing line taut, usually keeping one hand on your climbline for stability n balance, allows use of the the other for lanyard progression, in increments consistent with a fully bent arm, to one fully extended.

Sounds as though you need to watch a few Reg pruning vids.

Not worth gettin hurt over for sure mate.

Work safe my friend.

Jomoco

Back