Climbing obstructions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgburner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just starting out and practicing on a 50ft sycamore. I am climbing a single rope with 2 ascenders and I am getting the hang of climbing but my biggest problem now is bumping up against the trunk and getting around branches on the way up. To avoid dragging and bumping the trunk is it advisable to attempt to rout the climbing line over a limb away from the trunk? The crotch of the limb seems like the most stable spot to go over the limb but it puts the line right against the tree.

Depending on what technique being used while climbing SRT, it's often just a matter of continuously facing the trunk and using your feet (or at least one foot) to maintain a bit of distance and control. You do not need to target a crotch which may leave you dangling out in space away from the trunk. I use the RAD technique when climbing SRT and find it's a breeze to keep my feet against the trunk and maintain a decent level of control ... which means I prefer my single rope close to the trunk.

Yes, SRT is better close to the trunk. Limbs can even be helpful when climbing SRT. Also, you should try to get your line in a clear path up the trunk if you can. But on the other hand, when you climb for tree removal reasons, you may want your climbing line on one side and your drop zone on another.

Latest posts

Back