Climbing Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figgered you probably knew the diff, Sizz. Just had to throw in my $.02 in potential alive/dead scenerios. My alive/dead scenarios haven't been exactly stellar, either.

Sizzle-Chest said:
chuck, i totally agree and was actually thinking the same thing at the time. but i wanted to try that on the ground first so that i could see how well i could retrieve it when wrapped around the back of the trunk. i usually lanyard in even when rapelling just in case my branch fails but not that time. good criticism!

oh ya, thanks for the compliment on my Zappa beard. is that a real poncho or is that a sears poncho?

Tks for sharing the pics Sizz. Lotta nice hand/foot holds in that tree so it looked like a fun and easy climb. If you dont mind pls explain further when you say you "lanyard in when rapelling just in case the branch falls". I dont do that and I wonder how it can be done with all those branches. I usually keep my lanyard on and check my rapel about 3 or 4 ft or so to be sure everything is working as it should but then I clip out of the lanyard. I use a rescue 8 backed up with a klemheist or blakes.

Tks
Tom

hey tom, since im still pretty new to climbing i dont like the idea of using only one attachment point just in case a branch fails. i just dont know enough about the strength of wood in different trees. so, often when i rapell, i will keep my lanyard around another branch until its maxed out, then i will unclip it and put it around a lower branch. its just a backup measure that might not be neccessary, but better to be safe. here's a picture of what i mean. .. .

also, i only have a simple figure eight that i back up with a prusik

Sizz, I can appreciate the better safe than dead. I consider myself a climber with plenty to learn and have strayed little from what I know that works. Don't take this as me trying to convince you to change from your comfort zone. I just wonder that to rapell down from one limb to the max adjmt of your lanyard and safetying in again could be working against you or maybe become tiring doing all that hooking and unhooking etc.

Anyway, another fine picture you have created.

Which reminds me, here's a lanyard rig that I made recently that works real well in conifers like the one SizzleChest was in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturejournal/75300514/

Mine is about 50 ft. of rope, it's based on what Richard Preston described in his New Yorker article on climbing in redwoods. He called it a motion lanyard but wasn't exactly clear about how it was configured. Anyway what I show in the drawing works great. You can stay tied in on both ends of the lanyard at all times or extend the lanyard out to it's full doubled length and hang on one branch if you're confident in the strength of that branch. The advantage is that you have your split-tails all tied in to the rope and you just throw either end with the 'biner over the branch and clip in to establish a new tie-in.
-moss

Very good drawing. I only tend to use that when in a very wide tree and I only need to go to one side for a couple cuts then come back.

It is hard to trust your rope when starting out and now that I don't climb often at all it's hard to get used to when I do get back in a tree.
You guys are rappelling on an 8 only? I haven't actually tried it on tree climbing rope but have done it kernmantle a few times and it feels very safe on static rope like that.

From the previous couple threads I wasn't sure how you guys are talking about hanging your rope but if go around the trunk and then over a branch as in the picture you don't have to worry about the branch breaking unless it's the last one on the bottom of the trunk as it will slide down to the next fork.

Just playing around w/ the pic
:D

Hey that is Sizzle chest, I would never! Too many crazy squirrels around for that!

Good to see you around again Brian:D

hey sizzle, see if ya like the improvements I made to this lacklusterly lit shot

RB, i'm not sure the changes you made, but the colors look a bit brighter and the definition a little less sharp. is that what you were going for? i guess the less you can see my ugly mug the better, eh? :p

hello everyone
i like the pics you all have been posting
i'll post sum of mine soon but all i got is work shots right now.
talk to yall later

Bald Cypress

Maybe this will be interesting to you. There are several of these in a small swamp on the edge of Madisonville, La., identical in the codominant stems. We think the original trees were harvested when the town was founded (couple hundred years ago) to build the town, but that growing conditions were so good at that time the trees re-sprouted the codominant stems. There is a very cozy raccoon nest between the codominant stems.

Both stems are now up to about 95 feet (top of foliage), in spite of the fact that Bald Cypress are very slow growing. Since I only had a 75 foot piece and a 120 foot piece of Arborplex with me I had to stage the two pieces to reach a tie in point at 75 feet, then 3 point climb 12 more feet (with flip line for safety) to reach the highest crotch at 87 feet. Tom would be quick to tell me I could have made the climb much more efficiently SRT, but at age 56 I like the mechanical advantage of DRT.

Notice the greenbriar vines, several as big around as my arm. They were choking the top of the tree so bad I could not get through without some judicious use of the hand saw (cut Greenbriar only of course, a common weed down here). On some limbs the tree cambium had grown around the vine at least half the diameter of the vine, leaving a deep grove in several tree limbs.

Gear transportation

Thought you might find this interesting. I use this cart for bringing all the gear I need to a climb site. I have a lightweight packable gear set but when I want to have several rope options and plenty of extras on hand this is what I use.
105561664_35088f7a36.jpg

More images from that climb:
Old red oak

Andrew,

I like the redesigned handle on the cart, especially the top part where you preserved part of the previous "natural" handle.

Do you have any concerns leaving the cart at the base of a tree when you're up in the tree? I can picture some kids running along wanting to mess around with it if you were climbing in a park.

Once I gear up, I was thinking of using my backpack to carry my stuff. The pack is pretty comfortable even with 50 pounds of gear in it. I could tie a line to it and once aloft pull it part way up the tree then tie it off to protect it from curious on-lookers.

Nice pictures at the other site too.

Cheers,

rmihalek said:
Andrew,

I like the redesigned handle on the cart, especially the top part where you preserved part of the previous "natural" handle.

Do you have any concerns leaving the cart at the base of a tree when you're up in the tree? I can picture some kids running along wanting to mess around with it if you were climbing in a park.

Hey Bob, I've never had a problem. I don't usually climb where people end up under the tree but when I do they're usually so dumfounded at either the cart or me in the tree that they just stand there slack jawed, even teenage boys, the most dangerous animal on the planet :) Also I can get out of a tree faster than anyone could push a cart very far. I suppose I could lock the wheels up with a bike lock but have no need at this point. You could certainly haul your backpack up into the tree while you're climbing for extra security. I could do the same with the cart, it's pretty light.

Latest posts

Back