climbing spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first pair were Buckingham's with the 4" velcro calf pads. I liked them a lot, but someone else liked them better. When they were 'liberated', I was working with a guy who used the Kleins with the offset gaffs. I found them a little easier to use when climbing fat trees, and bought a pair. Many people find the offset gaffs uncomfortable, but I like them because it is easier to get a secure bite on large trunks.

That reminds me, it's about time for me to buy a new set of straps for mine, IF I ever get back into climbing again, that is. :(

Something that doesn`t get mentioned too often is the boots.
When it comes to be comfortable on spurs it`s important to have good boots with a good steel shank built in.
What length of gaffs are you guys using for climbing trees?

Good Point Kevin,

For me to comfortably climb with gaffs, I need either need a tall pair of boots, good calf pads, or both. I use 2-3/4" gaffs on aluminium Bashlins. The 1-3/4" gaffs work pretty well too, except when removing a living pine or other softwood.

I used to love my Brooks until I bought my Wescos. The bottom strap ring digs into the edge of the boot and kills my feet. I can't decide if I should change boots or spikes since they both cost about the same:confused: I have some Kleins too that I used for a long time but their set up short for my other guys, haven't tried them w/Wescos yet.

I realy like my Wolf gaffs. The only thing I did not like was the ratchet strao was finicky last winter. A Canuc may want to go with buckles.

As for gaff legnth, it depends on the bark thickness your working on. Another good thing about the Wolf is that these are adjustible, just some allen screws and a wrench

For tree spikes I have Buckinghams. They are the 3 1/2" gaffs. I believe that you are supposed to use the 3 1/2's and that the 1 1/2's are for pole climbing only. For the pads I also use buckingham's. A good friend of mine had won a different set a couple years back at some competition. They are the kind with the velcro cinch. I don't care for them very much because I feel that they pinch. I use the ones with the steel plate in them. They are on an angle, are very comfortable, and give great support. For boots I have the Red Wing logger boots and love them. They are plenty warm for in the winter too, because they have thinsulate in them.

I have Klein spikes.

They're fine, the price was right(free from a family member that doesn't climb anymore). Got the old leather L pads. I'll upgrade some day...but they work for now.

These have long 'tree' gaffs on them now, but I'm going to get some shorter 'pole' gaffs for when I'm on trees without super deep bark which is 90% of the time around me. The longer the gaffs the harder they are on your knees. IMO unless you're in Reds or other super thick bark tree...'tree' gaffs aren't necessary. Most of the tree's I'm in, the gaffs only go in a quarter of the way at most, which means there's a lot of force on my knees.

Something that doesn`t get mentioned too often is the boots.
When it comes to be comfortable on spurs it`s important to have good boots with a good steel shank built in.
What length of gaffs are you guys using for climbing trees?
I use the steel buckinghams with an aluminum insert I cut from a STOP sign stuck in my $40 Walmart boots

I use Kleins with the 4 inch velcro cuffs. I have no clue how old they are, maybee 70's or 80's. Gotta love retired equip, it just never makes it to the dumpster. Sure they are steel, but very comfy in my approach shoes. The only other pair I have used were geckos, which were comfy and light. What I didn't like about gecko's was the gaff placement and length, when I twisted my foot the gaff's would lever out of the tree. My kliens have the longer tree gaff's that are centered a little lower on the stirrup, and I seem to be the only one that likes that. The only thing that sucks about the longer gaff's if you stand in the same hole for a bit they get a tad bit stuck. I also like them a bit dull, I just have to kick a little bit to set them in thin bark to keep from peeling out.

My Dad bought a pair of offset Bashlin aluminium hooks back in the late 60's early 70's. He climbed on them till he retired in 1986, then I used them till I quit climbing in 2016 when I had my left knee replaced. Over 50 years of commercial service, replaced a few sets of pads. Can't get more bang for your buck than that. Shame Karl Kuemmerling went out of business, he always took good care of us.

Latest posts

Back