Climbing Techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got better cameras now though, you should see some of my newer stuff. Say, would you care to elaborate on that comment? What made it so hard to watch? Was it the way I got my saw stuck demonstrating using plunge cuts on big wood so you don't get your saw stuck?

No, I was referring to the pine job. Kind of reminded me of this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU
Phil

I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon picking fights with you, but I consider a plunge cut dangerous and pointless in that scenario. Stick a wedge in the top-cut before it closes, and just keep going down.

Easy, fast, and safe.

I probably would have plunged as he did but finished the cut from the underside. How anyone can misread tension and compression in that situation is beyond me.

No, by all means have at it ...

Well, some don't get it and this is a good example. Have fun with your post's Aerial, I will just read.
Jeff ;)

No, it's OK Jeff, now that I understand the rules of engagement here I've got my asbestos long underwear on. I put myself up for it by posting my videos, so have a whack at it, tell us what you really think.

:cheers:

You're not being singled out. We have all critiqued each others work vids and pics before... Those of us who have posted them anyway...

If you're going to put it out there for the public to see you might as well be prepared for some criticism if someone catches something. It's happened to me as well. Stings the ego a little bit but in reality peer review is a good thing.

They may be clueless, but they are my customers! I play my act to the person or persons paying for the show. Sure I could have shot a rope up to it, tyed it off to my dump truck and pulled it over on my way out for $400.

I'd rather take my time, try out new gear, eat pizza and do it in a way that made them feel great about paying me $1200 for doing a difficult and dangerous stunt. It's like a magic show, people should get their money's worth, and I aim to please.
:blob2:

I was gonna stay outa this until I read this. You r to co..cky aerial. I tried watchn some of your videos and must say I only had patience to watch it long enough to say I am not all that impressed.

Bring it on, I can take it ...

You're not being singled out. We have all critiqued each others work vids and pics before... Those of us who have posted them anyway...

If you're going to put it out there for the public to see you might as well be prepared for some criticism if someone catches something. It's happened to me as well. Stings the ego a little bit but in reality peer review is a good thing.

I understand that by posting my videos I will be getting plenty of peer "reviewing" so by all means give it your best shot. There is a difference between constructive criticism and snide remarks though. I'm quite outnumbered here though so I will just ignore most of the later, while trying to respond with thanks to the former.

I was gonna stay outa this until I read this. You r to co..cky aerial. I tried watchn some of your videos and must say I only had patience to watch it long enough to say I am not all that impressed.

Thank you for your impressions. I'm in business to make money not friends. At least I can't be accused of "stealing" work from anybody with low ball pricing as I get the impression that I charge significantly more than most of you here.

For me every tree starts at $1200, that's my baseline. Of course that can go up significantly, or down significantly especially if there is the volume to warrant lower per tree pricing.

I tell my customers that I price my work using the three Ds : Danger, Difficulty, and Drudgery (how much weight to move and where I have to move it). The other two are self explanatory.

If you have an itch ~ scratch it ...

I never said anything about what u charge. What I was mainly getting at is that u seem to have an attitude.

Oh I do have an attitude, but it's a good one, at least it works for me. I'm really a sweet sensitive guy. It's just that the asbestos underwear I have to wear here makes me itchy.

I probably would have plunged as he did but finished the cut from the underside. How anyone can misread tension and compression in that situation is beyond me.

That too, is pointless and troublesome.

The log will still close onto the saw, regardless of whether you have finished the cut from lifting through the top or cutting down on the top.

Just knock in a wedge, finish the cut at the bottom of the log where the gap gets wider when the cut is finished. Easy, safe, and almost foolproof.

That too, is pointless and troublesome.

The log will still close onto the saw, regardless of whether you have finished the cut from lifting through the top or cutting down on the top.

Just knock in a wedge, finish the cut at the bottom of the log where the gap gets wider when the cut is finished. Easy, safe, and almost foolproof.

Not if you're quick enough! lol

I watched the cut in question again and I would have done it a bit different than he did. It situations like that I'll often cut in from the top about halfway through then bore in just below that cut leaving a few fibers in the center of the log while I cut through the bottom. Then it's just a quick upward cut through those fibers I left and it comes right off. I usually won't take the time to carry wedges and a hammer for bucking unless it's big wood. That seems like a lot more hassle to me than a bore cut here or there. To each his own.

Traveling light through a wooded valley ...

... I usually won't take the time to carry wedges and a hammer for bucking unless it's big wood. That seems like a lot more hassle to me than a bore cut here or there. To each his own.

That particular job involved a hike through a wooded valley in especially steep terrain. My groundie on that day was a pretty big guy but he had to carry everything in so I only took one saw, and not a big one (Stihl 361). A pinched bar meant a long uphill hike to get another. Sure wedges and a hammer don't weigh much, but they still have to be carried.

I mean check it out, I had to use my flipline around it just to keep my footing, and even then I slipped a bit getting to the other side of the tree. Being tied to the tree during a drop didn't appeal to me and that was why I used that method, to avoid a pinch, but also to give me time to unhook myself from that tree before the final cut on the piece I left on the backside.

I'll quote myself ...

Since I seem to be the only Guy interested in "Climbing Techniques", you know, the topic of this thread.

Here I am responding to TreeMachine:

Yeah, I read the thread before I posted. I understand your point about the inefficiencies of 2:1 climbing vs. SRT (something I intend to learn more about) but here I am like 99% of working climbers using the old way.

Not that I'm not trying to advance. Using the LockJack for a couple of years was a major step forward for me. The Unicender is impressive, but works very differently than the LockJack. With the LockJack I can climb the rope above the device, with the Unicender you climb the from below it, hence the blue prussic cord to get more distance under it. I'm just experimenting with a new piece of gear, I've used it twice in the field so far.

Got a link to some SRT techniques here? How does my LockJack and Unicender fit in?

Here's a video me using this set-up for the first time. I do struggle a bit, but hey I'm 63 years old, and already was up that tree once that day:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAerialArborist?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/mLVymugpwS8

(Oh Oh, I posted that video again, snuggle into my asbestos jock strap)

Well even though nobody here was interested enough to help, I went to another tree board which shall not be named here and was able to find helpful people and information, as well as links on this very topic. I thought I'd share them to see if anyone here is interested in anything other than waving their penises around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0otdEn7VcNU&feature=related

Now I'm stoked about using my Unicender in SRT to gain the much needed efficiency that TreeMachine so graciously explained.

My injuries make it hard to do rope assents as demonstrated in my much ridiculed video, comparing that effort with the video I just posted tells me I need a more efficient system.

I want to be able to go up a tree like a squirrel with a bottle rocket up his @ss so I can avoid making a Wraptor out of my capstan winch. I'd rather go up under my own power than have a machine do all the work. I'd feel like I was in one of those scooter chairs. Better than a walker I guess.

Anybody want to talk about that video or how I can rig up my Unicender like that? What about my LockJack? Hello?

Jeez you guys, I travel and am offline for 48 hours and you slaughter this thread.

We could really improve this by a moderator deleting the last two pages of NOTHING, for the sake of the readership who really expect to come here and learn or contribute to CLIMBING TECHNIQUES.

You all continue your petty nitpicking and off-topic engagement. CAN YOU MAYBE PM EACH OTHER TO RESOLVE YOUR PERSONAL ISSUES?
ARBORIST 101, NOT MUDSLINGING 101

Please pardon my apparent disgust of the direction this thread has taken.

Jeez you guys, I travel and am offline for 48 hours and you slaughter this thread.

We could really improve this by a moderator deleting the last two pages of NOTHING, for the sake of the readership who really expect to come here and learn or contribute to CLIMBING TECHNIQUES.

You all continue your petty nitpicking and off-topic engagement. CAN YOU MAYBE PM EACH OTHER TO RESOLVE YOUR PERSONAL ISSUES?
ARBORIST 101, NOT MUDSLINGING 101

Please pardon my apparent disgust of the direction this thread has taken.

Sorry TM, I deleted it for you. I was going to anyway, after I thought about some.. carry on!

Back