Climbing with spurs/spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Shaw

DR Shaw
Reaction score
A while back, I bought my first clumbing spur set up (used.) But I still had only done rope climbing up until last week, when I got my throwline caught, so I used my spikes for the first time (doing an elm removal) to get it unstuck. But right away I found out they were way too loose. So, later I drilled a few more holes in the leather to make it tighter. Anyways, a few days ago, I had a spruce removal, so I tried them out again. I found them extremely uncomfortable. Nice and snug, but they didn't feel right (they were on the right foot for sure.) And on top of that, they would get pretty stuck in the wood. I had to wiggle them back and forth a lot and grip branches tight so that I could really yank on them to get them out. Is that common? I ended up using them for like ten feet and then just leaving little stubs that I could stand on. I'm hoping you guys can give me some tips from experienced spur users. Maybe there's some way I can adjust my technique to help, or maybe there's something wrong with my spurs? I don't know, a little confused right now

Attachments

• IMG_20140716_193827.jpg
    IMG_20140716_193827.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 74
Are you just stepping up the tree and letting the spurs stick or are you like stabbing them in? The only time i stab one in is if im gonna put all my weight on one spur i'll kick it in a little deeper. If your spurs are sharp they'll stick on their own.

Plus Spruce is soft so they're gonna stick a little deeper.

If you're having a problem with your spurs twisting double wrap your bottom strap around the shank

Given you bought used spurs, I think you need to check to see if they are sharpened properly. If they were sharpened at too steep an angle, they will stick in too far. If they are dull, you may unconsciously be driving them in too hard. We test spurs by just lightly raking them down a 2x4 leg on the workbench. They should stick in without having to hammer them in. You should consider getting a sharpening kit.

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/instructionsandwarnings/6306_101905.pdf

Are you just stepping up the tree and letting the spurs stick or are you like stabbing them in? The only time i stab one in is if im gonna put all my weight on one spur i'll kick it in a little deeper. If your spurs are sharp they'll stick on their own.

Plus Spruce is soft so they're gonna stick a little deeper.

If you're having a problem with your spurs twisting double wrap your bottom strap around the shank

Hmm, yeah, I probably was jabbing them I'm. Next time I'll have to try more of a stepping motion

Alright, good idea. Thanks

Given you bought used spurs, I think you need to check to see if they are sharpened properly. If they were sharpened at too steep an angle, they will stick in too far. If they are dull, you may unconsciously be driving them in too hard. We test spurs by just lightly raking them down a 2x4 leg on the workbench. They should stick in without having to hammer them in. You should consider getting a sharpening kit.

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/instructionsandwarnings/6306_101905.pdf
Hmm, I'll check that out, thanks

No relation Jeff. Chris'es idea about the wrap on the shank is the key. BCWC...little OCD. You gotta have a wide shin pad to be comfortable. No reason not to have velcro either. Noobs want to hug the trunk for, they think, safety. Opposite of what you want to do and will lead to peeling out. If you are getting stuck you might have pole spikes on deadwood?

Buy yourself some big buck Velcro pads. I did and I wish I did it a long time ago.

Used to be called big euc pads. Get some Gecko s, they go on sale at Sherrill once a year I think. Probably my 8th pair of spikes and would never go back to others.

Used to be called big euc pads. Get some Gecko s, they go on sale at Sherrill once a year I think. Probably my 8th pair of spikes and would never go back to others.

Id love a pair of geckos. Did 1 spruce tree with a pair that belonged to this kid I used to work with and they felt amazing. I can't bring myself to bust out $400+ on a pair of spikes right now though. I do feel my big bucks would be more comfortable on those big oak spars when i'm rocking the ms660.

think I paid $360 for em on sale. and I recently compliments of Brad Snelling, got a ms 461 ported that will outrun and out cut my ms 660. Ahhh equipment....$ talks.

I have a complete 046 that needs a jug/piston my brother gave me. Was guna order a meteor kit and possibly look into having someone on here do a port job on it. Then Ill almost be on your level :bowdown:

Spikes are trash , I am learning to do removals without them , and the day I can throw them in a lake and never wear them again will be a great day . And if your doing spruce/pine you don't need spikes even at the beginning of learning to climb a tree .

Latest posts

Back