climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well to go with my other post , at the same time I bought the Grillon I bought the butterfly saddle , I don't like it , If anyones interested in it or the grillon let me know, I'll stick with my wide back weaver:alien:

J. Borist [is that Jr. Arborist?],

The Butterfly was designed for arbos. There used to be a picture of a climber with the Butterfly on, in a tree. I just checked my Komet link and it is out of service.

Tom

John...
You might have the cheeper verson of the 1390 master saddle.
Buckingham does have the 1390-D-T model. Large D rings, & T is for tree profesional.

I think before you even start to learn to climb you'd better grow some balls, or at least check them. A good climber never doubts his abilities. Think of it this way, you can do it, you just have to learn how. Working out of a bucket musta made you soft. Didn't you climb before you started in a bucket?

That's what's wrong with the young folks now a days. They go to a "School" think they learn everything, then get out and want to go to work right at the top. My advice and training methods are:

1. Start on the ground. Learn to be the best ground man possible. Watch the climber and bucket man as you work for them. Learn what they do, ask why and how.

2. Start climbing when the foreman thinks you are ready. Learn to be the best climber possible. I perfer learning from a old timer, but the schools do add some value.

3. After you got some years under your belt as a climber, then learn to use a bucket. Then you will have mastered all the basic skills of tree climbing.

Dont worry i have them!, im not stupid, the bucket is easy and i can drop a tree with a bucket pretty darn fast and get them down safley. on the climbing side, ive repelled off a 6000 ft rock face before! as i said before, ive got nads! im looking for guidance. i can climb, no prob there but i do not think i know the "tricks of the trade". I dont want to go up there and hurt someone, myself or somones property because of some stupid mistake that could have been easliy avoided.
P.S. i was a great ground man, and i know own/run the company
and it is not rocket science to run a bucket!

No, its not rocket science to run a bucket, and any monkey can climb a tree. I think you'd be doing yourself and your customers a great favor by hiring a good, experienced climber to work for you. You can learn from watching him while you make money and maybe, just maybe if you watch and learn, you'll be a decent climber someday. It takes more than large nuggets to be good in this business. You need the right attitude.
By the way, where is this 6000 foot rock face you mentioned?

hi all!
havnt had the time to site down( another big storm!)
let me correct my self! 600ft!, i dont think that i would drop off a 6000 ft face! but then again ive never had the op! i did it in norway when i was in the marines and we did not do a free drop, it was in 4 or 5 stages, but it was still really high!
well i hooked up with this guy who has been doing it for 21 years and we sub him out for his chipper, well i spent about 4 hours with him yesterday and i learned a whole lot! today we are doing one of my jobs with him and im going up with him, also i bought the MASTER II i like it alot better than the fatback, i feel more secure!
1 more question!..... GAFFS OR NO GAFFS...goods and bads please! thanks guys

Gaffs for removal only if there is nowhere else to stand. I've rigged out a lot of trees without gaffs.

Hey greanbean, when was you in Norway? I was on the beach in Sandisfjord during "Northern Wedding" '86 USS Widbey Island BSSG5. What a great place! I was going back ther in '89 or '90 when Saddam ruined it for us. They took our cold weather away and issued desert, didn't say anything though <G>.

i was there in 97, we were on our way to estonia, they were training us for the balkan war, but i never went! your tax dollars hard at work!

>>your tax dollars hard at work

How many tons of munitions have I seen buried because they did not want to spend the time doing an inventory on opend cases! Or batteries thrown overbared because it is easier to buy new then recharge! (lithium at high tide looks neat!) Inspections where they bought all new parts and hid the old.....

AMEN to that! we have shot off so much ammo just to get ride of it! in somalia we would throw lithium batts in the fires, WOW! what a bang!

started my first big tree yesterday with me climbing, can we say too much too soon! i got up about 50' or so and the thing was wiggelin real bad made my stomach turn! got half the tree down, and the i got the panicks, down i came! trainer went up! trees down!( i went back up to get down the meat, 20' ft high! with a 44!) i think i need smaller trees at first! this was at least 5' at the base, willow for those of you wondering, well gotta go and see if i can scare my self today! see ya
p.s. climbing looks so easy from the ground!

Latest posts

Back