Clogged filter screen in carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey,

So my chainsaw (stihl 051) stopped working recently due to the little filter screen in the carb (right where the fuel enters the carb) being completely clogged. I assume gunk like that should really be stopped by the filter in the fuel tank (which was clean). Is there a good way to avoid this problem in the future? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Tyler

Older stihl's fuel filters had a foam insert, that after 20 or so years, would start breaking up, and the residue will coolect in the carb screen, like a tiny wad of snuff.

So a new fuel

filter and carb cleaning is in order...

Yeah, I'm impressed with this saw still pulling strong when it's older than I am.

The fuel filter in the tank has a sheath of a felt like material on it. Is that the "foam" stuff you're talking about that breaks up? Should be an easy fix (thankfully).

Thanks,
Tyler

No, I was thinking of the style of filter in the 031/041, with the lead weight inside the pickup body, don't see any 051s around here, but I know which
filter you are talking about.
You should replace both on yours, and examine the fuel line. If you find
dust in the other chamber of the carb, examine your impulse line.

Back