ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Close call:axe got away from me

Discussion in 'Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities' started by Hal-VT, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Hal-VT

Hal-VT New Member

All my life I have carried and used axes with a two foot handle. Short enough to be convenient, long enough to be really useful, and a quick two foot measure for logs and firewood. So swinging a two foot handle is ingrained habit and muscle memory form nearly sixty years of experience.

I bought a Fiskars chopping axe, to carry in the truck for emergencies and occcaisional use. I figured, nice, new, sharp, plastic handle, and easy to use plastic sheath, stick it under the seat and forget it.

Last night I was at the end of a long day of snow plowing, which included cutting some downed trees out of driveways, and came onto one last little birch that should have just pushed out of the way, but didn’t. Not going to dig the saw out again, put on chaps, etc.etc. I’ll just whack it with the axe.

It’s late, I’m tired and the Fiskars has a twenty inch handle. I cut the first crotch, hit two licks on the second, and missed the branch completely on the third swing. The handle slipped out of my right hand, but I kept hold of the end with the left, and swung it around. Fortunately I was swinging sideways and not straight down, so my legs were never in danger, but it scared me pretty badly anyway. It stung my right hand some when it went,and this morning I noticed a small cut on my ring finger. I have no idea what caused that.

SeMoTony and StihlBadger like this.
  2. Marshy

Marshy 285 Killa

Wow, got lucky. The fiskars are extremely sharp. I had a friend that had 12 stitches in his foot from an over swing on the shorter chopping axe. They are dangerous!

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. CacaoBoy

CacaoBoy ArboristSite Operative

Too often we all keep going after we should have knocked off. More than anything, I think that is what gets us into trouble.

4. gotstuffguys

gotstuffguys ArboristSite Lurker

A FEW MONTHS BACK, I WATCHED A LOG TRUCK DRIVER GRAB A NEW FISKARS AXE AND ATTEMPT TO KNOCK OFF A 3/4 SAWN KNOT ON A BUNK LOG ON HIS TRAILER. HE WAS TALKING TO THE LOADER OPERATOR AND TOOK A SWING UP AND SIDEWAYS TO HIT THAT KNOT AND HE MISSED THE KNOT AND SCUZZED THE LOG AND THAT AXE WENT FLYING OUT OF HIS HAND AND WENT FLYING BY THE LANDING CHASER AT MACH 3! THE CHASER JUST STOPPED, STARED AT HIM FOR A SECOND AND THEN SHOOK HIS HEAD AND WALKED OFF! '
    HE WAS SO LUCKY TO NOT HAD THAT FISKARS AXE HIT HIM IN THE CHEST CUZ IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A MAJOR OUCH FOR SURE IF NOT WORSE! ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT WHEN YOU SEE IT, IT MAKES YOU CRINGE! CRAZY! HE IS SO LUCKY!!

AGAIN BEFORE SOMEONE COMPLAINS ABOUT ALL CAPS.....WELL NOBODY HAD HERE BUT THE MEMBER 250R....THE ALL BOLD CAPS HELPS ME SEE WHAT IM TYPING. I AM A DISABLED VET AND HAVE ISSUES WITH MY VISION. IT CAN BE CLEAR FOR A FEW SECONDS AND THEN IT BLURS BADLY. SORRY IF IT BOTHERS ANYBODY.

old guy, hseII, Cycledude and 2 others like this.
  5. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

I have a Fiskars hatchet. It is junk. I have some fiskars pruners. Junk.

Not gonna buy any more over-rated fiskars junk.

Glad you never hurt yourself with that slippery-handled son of a gun

6. U&A

U&A ArboristSite Operative

I promise if anyone has issues with your post being all capitals more than one guy here will back you up and knock the fool in the mouth as he deserves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. U&A

U&A ArboristSite Operative

My father-in-law had like 20 stitches in his arm because he was removing a small tree and using a hatchet to chop the roots away. Got tired missed the roots and hit his arm that was pushing the tree away.

It was bad enough to where if it did not heal right he would’ve had major issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DocMurphy

DocMurphy ArboristSite Lurker

WELL I LIKE IT IT HELPS ME READ IT HA HA