Close call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The static load is what went wrong with that If.
It wasn't static anymore as soon as the tree started to move.
,5•mv2 etc.
It wasn't people climbing rope. But rigging rope for climbers.
What would you use in this case?

Thanks for sharing the details, it is of great value to have these ‘real’ reminders that in our industry we cannot afford to take any chances at all. A recent groundie death over here has served as another hard poke to the local arborists

As I get older and read about these near misses and awful hits, the main action I take is to book less into the working day so that I can take my time, enjoy the job (I f*#%ing hate the industry when I am pressured to work as fast as I think I safely can) and make no errors....and another thing is to ALWAYS listen to that gut feeling/niggly voice in the back of your mind

That was the purpose indeed.

I only apreciate the clear feedback by the way.
I never take the tirfor, because it's so damn heavy I never thought it would come in handy.
But thinking back, that would have saved my hand, and would free up one man to kick people from their bicycle when trespasing and ignoring warning signs and noises.
Next time I will use that tirfor.

And that gut feeling is going higher on the priority ladder.

The static load is what went wrong with that If.
It wasn't static anymore as soon as the tree started to move.
,5•mv2 etc.
It wasn't people climbing rope. But rigging rope for climbers.
What would you use in this case?
Yup. We all learn. Was taking to the boss one night. About 1:00 am. We heard a noise. That couldn’t be good.
A 26,000 lb vertical pump was being lifted to horizontal so it could go across the shop. 29 foot drop.
Look at all the figures and it’s Physics.
Can’t break the laws of Physics.
Our guy missed one factor.

Heavy bull rope.
Nothing too strong ever broke..........it’s heavier and a pain in the butt. But worth it.
Glad you folk will heal. We’ve all done stuff.

That was the purpose indeed.

I only apreciate the clear feedback by the way.
I never take the tirfor, because it's so damn heavy I never thought it would come in handy.
But thinking back, that would have saved my hand, and would free up one man to kick people from their bicycle when trespasing and ignoring warning signs and noises.
Next time I will use that tirfor.

And that gut feeling is going higher on the priority ladder.

And sad to say.......ya learn most from your mistakes.
I was watching a lift about a year ago as I passed the test well. Something seemed wrong. Went back and told them to freeze the load and back away. Took a minute but the top hitch as it turned 90deg would have let go.
Thousands of lifts and riggings .........and something caught my eye as wrong. Totally unconscious.......like a chess move.
Ol Pharts told me I did something wrong rigging before the lift when I was learning. Told me to find it. Wouldn’t tell me what it was. Made me look at everything. The tricks add up.
Sadly.....it’s a tough curve.
OSHA has lots of info. As do rigging equipment sales folks.

Back