Closing the deal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhuffnmu

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When looking at jobs or bidding jobs how do you close the deal. What is it that you do that you think lands you the job even if you don't think you are the lowest bidder. Are there any special tips or tricks that you use to help them make up their minds on the spot? I have just gotten into the sales side of the family business and want to see if there are any pointers to getting the jobs besides giving the best price or even if I am a little bit higher than the lowest bid. If you don't want to say because you think a direct competitor is on the site. Please pm me. I really would like to know the tricks of the trade.

Look people in the eye when you shake thier hand, don't dress like a car saleman. Wear clean work clothes and boots, look the part, it inspires confidence in customers. If a competitor is on site, be friendly, maybe you and your competitor can work together sometimes, make deals etc.. I bid a tree topping job (don't freak, it was a cottonwood above a multi transformer deck) at a sawmill, when I pulled the "only qualified and certified by the utility people can do this work" stuff (all true) on the manager, the other bids were toast instantly. Stress whatever unique qualifications to others you have, even use the "I'm An ISA arborist" (get this if you are not) bs line to those who are clueless, because letters behind your name tend to add authority, valid or not. There are a thousand and one ways to sell, try to avoid to many of the sleazy ones. Remember always, you are in business to make money, if you treat people well, they will use you again.

The most effective closing technique, no matter what you are selling, is the assumed consent close. Explain what you are going to do, how you are going to do it and how much it will cost. If you ask them any questions it is beneficial to you if all those questions have a yes answer so have your sh!t wired tight when it comes to reviewing the job specs w/ the client. The final thing you SAY (NOT ASK) is "I would like to schedule this work for such and such a time and I need a deposit of $x(if you collect deposits). The more affirmative you are and the less escape routes they have the more sales you will close on the spot. Be careful not to be slimy and evasive like a used car salesman though.

If it is a more complicated bid that requires some preperation on your part, then schedule a follow-up appt. to meet face to face w/ the client. Face to face closes a much higher percentage than a phone call or a mailed bid that gets dumped in a pile of stuff "to do".

Also as important, know when to walk away from a job. Use that gut feeling about a customer. That could make you as much money by not costing you money on deadbeats or pain in the butt customers.
For me I figure if I want the job I'll get it. We don't advertise so it's a word of mouth thing from other customers.
I also don't talk down my competition. Maybe they don't do work as good as us, but perhaps it's the best they know how to do. Dressing the part, for me my long beard and dreadlocks works. Go figure, but who doesn't remember me!
We have a heavy population of weekend people from NYC, a different breed altogether. For some reason I have always been able to schmooze them and give them a comfort level. It's all about the comfort level for customers.
Good luck.

Clearance, you bring up a good point. Point out how you are different from the competitors and what you can offer that no one else does. It helps if this is something that benefits the customer.
Newfie also brings up good points. I never ask a potential customer, "So, would you like to schedule the work?" Thats a yes or no question and requires little thought about the bid. I instead will do as Newfie said and ask them if we could schedule it for XXdate.
Be respectful, and even if you dont give a damn about their dog, cat, ferret, or whatever...show some interest. We are in the service industry and people like personal attention. Spend a few extra minutes and get to know them and you will have a lifetime customer giving a lifetime of refferals.

I like to educate clients, and it pays off. I point to pages in a book or brochure that describe the service I am selling, and show them I know how to do it right. I am rarely the lowest bidder, and usually do not bid at all but work by the hour.

clearance said:
Look people in the eye when you shake thier hand, don't dress like a car saleman. Wear clean work clothes and boots, look the part, it inspires confidence in customers.

ok, i'm just a home owner... but i second the bolded words that clearance said above...

don't look like you slept in your clothes or smell like you have just done 2 weeks of honest hard labor... or a long weekend of illegal activity... being filthy or smelling (often the result of a long long day's work) doesn't give me confidence...

Forgot a couple things. We get a lot of work because we call back. Customers tell us they called a few people and we're the only ones that called back.
The other thing is, show up on time for the appointment.

The best thing you can do to help you with your sales is to listen....

truely listen to what your clients needs and concerns are.

We all hear what are potential clients are saying, but are we really listening?

also like clearance says- dress like you are prepared to work, not like you just crawled out from under the chip truck, and not like a car salesman.

Probably best not drive up in your corvette either.

and never a hard close.

Newfie has made some good point as well, although, as he stated, make sure your wired right for the assumed consent, one wrong phrase from your lips could botch the whole deal.

Show the customer you have the skill, knowledge and tools to get the job done right at a fair price. Be self confident but not arrogant. Be friendly and straight forward. You will go a long way.

The part about asking them if they want to schedule a date for the work or if they would like the work done seems very logical. To me though I haven't done that yet I just feel to pushy if I do this. I don't want to seem pushy to the homeowner. But maybe they dont see it as pushy.

dhuffnmu said:
The part about asking them if they want to schedule a date for the work or if they would like the work done seems very logical. To me though I haven't done that yet I just feel to pushy if I do this. I don't want to seem pushy to the homeowner. But maybe they dont see it as pushy.

That "pushiness" is what pushes a lot of people into making a decision rather than jerking you around forever. You are there to "sell" your services, so you need to be assertive but not obnoxious.

Yeah I guess you are right you are there to sell your service. I will have to start trying this see if it boosts sales a little on the spot. Right now I am getting lots of calls and I have a lot of estimates lined up to go run. So I will try these methods on the next ten or so and see what percentage goes with it. Great info guys. Keep posting if you got other ideas or suggestions.

Back