Clutch fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A previous posting reminded me of an entertaining mistake a lot of us have probably made, namely reving up a saw with a loose clutch and no bar and chain. What is the most spectacular performance you have achieved with this act of stupidity? Mine simply dropped to the floor, shot out the open garage door, down the lane crossed the street and disappeared into the weeds on the other side.

I had an old Homelite EZ that I replaced a sprocket on, and for some reason I couldn't get the clutch to stay on the saw. I took it out to my test bench and revved the saw with no bar and chain, to see if I finally had it back on correctly.
I gave it a rev, and let the throttle off, and watched the clutch spin off and drop to the ground. It bounced
a few times, still spinning at a few thousand rpms, until on the last bounce, it bit in the ground, took off
like a bullet and down Hilltop Road, going under moving cars. I watched it go on down the road until it was too far away to see.

I didn't even go looking for it, I was kind of afraid to........

I had an old Homelite EZ that I replaced a sprocket on, and for some reason I couldn't get the clutch to stay on the saw. I took it out to my test bench and revved the saw with no bar and chain, to see if I finally had it back on correctly.
I gave it a rev, and let the throttle off, and watched the clutch spin off and drop to the ground. It bounced
a few times, still spinning at a few thousand rpms, until on the last bounce, it bit in the ground, took off
like a bullet and down Hilltop Road, going under moving cars. I watched it go on down the road until it was too far away to see.

I didn't even go looking for it, I was kind of afraid to........
Ihatedoingthis confessun thing.. BUTT I had the luck of no one getting hurt when I had a little XL and I forgot the drum wasn't on just wanted to see if it would fire ... Like I said I forgot for the moment.. and rapped it up then it started to shake BAD I got it shut off and something landed about 10 feet in front of me ... the broken piece of clutch.. Sceeery.

Back