Clutch Problem on Stihl FS-130?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonprophet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got the machine used 3 years ago, and it's always run great. I stored it under our cabin this past winter, and when I got it out a few days ago to start it up there was a dry rubbing sound when pulling the starter rope and it wouldn't start. I saw a little dry corrosion on the shaft where it contacts the ignition module, and I cleaned those with a brass brush. I put a little bit of new fuel in the cylinder, put the plug back in, and it started right up. The problem I'm having is that when I'm running my bushwacker blade on it to clear blackberries, the head slows way down or even stops. It takes a few seconds to get up to speed again, but then gets bogged down and the blade stops. I've used this machine quite a bit for blackberry clearing, and it usually goes through 2" blackberry stalks with no problem. When I start the machine, the blade turns at idle. I turned the idle speed screw back to lower the idle speed, but the blade still turns. Is this a clutch issue? I always run top quality clear gas and Stihl synthetic mix in this machine. I have not yet done a compression check or checked the valve clearances. Again, it fires right up and seems to run smooth, the blade just stops spinning when in deep thick grass or cutting thick blackberry stalks.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Remove this part, [3 screws], then lube the clutch where it hinges on it's 2 screws. Then clean the area, and get rid of the excess grease/oil.

Attachments

• housing.jpg
    housing.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks to both Harley and Rob. I think the clutch got some moisture in it over the winter under the cabin--and that explained the dry rubbing noise when I went to crank it up. I pulled out the clutch assembly, and indeed it was not moving well at all. lubed it, cleaned the clutch surfaces and the end of the shaft where the clutch assembly sits. I also tightened the throttle cable. Fires right up and now the blade stops at idle, plus it seems to have the power band I'm used to.

Thanks for your help!!

No, not here :eek:. Maybe that has something to do with why the trees grow large and relatively quickly for us. a 36" Doug fir is usually 55 years old and around and a 60", right at about 100. Pretty much the same for Hemlocks. Now an alpine environment 36" on our nearby mountain measured out to 433 years old. But those are harsh and drier conditions.

Back