Clutch problem or idle set too high?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
On my 026, it seems I can't set the idle low enough to keep chain from moving. Just about where the chain stops, the motor just barely wants to run. I believe the carb is set right, seems I might have a clutch problem. Took off e-clip, sprocket and drum. Some crud built up in drum - cleaned it out. Found that the drum has a groove in it that must fit in a "tang" behind the clutches - I don't understand what this does. Seems that the "tang" will rotate just like the drum so what is it's purpose? Is this likely my problem causing my clutch to stay "hooked up" at such a low rpm? Or am I missing something way more obvious?

I don't think you mean groove. To me a groove goes around something as a groove in a record or groove in a tire. The cut, notch or whatever (groove if you insist), is for the tang to fit. It drives the gear that actuates the oil pump. It has nothing to do with the clutch. The springs are weak on your clutch or they have worn notches into the metal and lost tension. Look where the springs fit and if you see wear from the springs digging into the metal, replace the clutch. If not, replace the springs. Mike

If this is a pro, the notch drives the oil pump worm. If not, you could have the wrong clutch drum.
The pro worm should spin freely on the crank, I have seen them set up and then the chain keeps turning. Sounds like worn out springs and/or clutch though.

Ok lets go step by step, Does the chain turn when you pull the starter? Is so disassemble to see if clutch spring is broke or assembly is jambed up with dirt. Clutch drum must turn freely with chain is off of saw.

Then look for broken clutch webs or weak spring. Just change the drum on general principles, they are to cheap to mess with. I have also seen washers replaced incorrectly. Here is where one of these Stihl guys can help.

Latest posts

Back