Clutch problem??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl026man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I have a 026 and today when I was using it the chain would continue to run while it idled and when i would put the chain brake on the saw would stall as if the clutch isnt working properly. Then I noticed that it would also not start with the chain brake on and as soon as I would disengage it it would start on the first pull. Any suggestions on whats wrong and how to fix it would be great! thanks!

Sounds like your clutch springs are weak or something is bunged up in there and the shoes are not retracting.

You need probably new clutch springs.Or it could be your sprocket bearing is done or needs grease.

That's a good call on the bearing. I was just thinking that. If the bearing seized or some semblance of, there would be no separation between the drum effectively taking the clutch out of the picture like a direct drive. That's what it seems to be doing.

Are the clutch springs fairly easy to replace? I think im gonna look at it some tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

no they are not that hard to replace, do u know how to get into the clutch? not trying to sound lika an a**hole

I'm thinking broken spring too. Or maybe a combination of things in that area, springs, poorly lubed bearings and/or something bunged up in there. If the springs were merely weak I don't think it'd stay locked up like that, but maybe.

I've had nylon string get in there and do that too. Don't really know how it got there but it sure don't take much to bung it up good.:censored:

If you'd like the IPL PM your email addy and it's yours. It will help you visualize the parts in there, also if unfamiliar help with re-assembly. Welcome to AS.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I found the problem today and its a broken spring on the clutch. Now what im thinking is to just replace the springs or do the whole clutch while im at it?? Clutch should be in pretty good condition the saw hasnt been used much. If I do replace the clutch how do I get it off, it looked like there was a big lock nut on there or somethin.. Thanks again guys!

Zack

the easiest way i have found to get the clutch off is an impact wrench no need for a piston stop. but remember the clutch has reversed threads

Don't use impact use rope in the cyl and take off the muffler to make sure it doesn't get jammed in the exhaust port. Then use a long ratchet and a pipe if you need it turn clockwise to loosen. Springs are not too hard to do exept big saws can be a pain.

You don't need to take the clutch off unless you need to replace the keepers or shoes, Just jam it with a big screwdriver against one shoe and the case. Pull each spring off with a hook (helps to have the right very cheap stihl tool....).

Yes.. use a rope - not an impact driver. Hold the saw by the inner dog in a big vice.

Rope works great

I learned of the rope idea here on AS. Find some 3/8 or larger rope and jam it in through the spark plug hole.

Fixed it!

Hey guys just thought I'd let ya know that I found the problem the other day and it was a broken clutch spring. Picked up a new one slapped it in and works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help!

Zack

Back