Cobra systems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience installing the Cobra bracing systems. As an "old-timer", I still use the old-fashioned eyebolts and high strength steel wire. I'm just wondering how they compare in real life situations. I know what the dealers claim, I just wanted some information from people who have actually used them.

I have never seen them used or installed. All I know about them is from a write-up in TCI magazine. Looks like a decent system, but I am concerned about having a strap covering a section of bark forever. At least with the bolts, the tree grows around it and heals. I'm afraid the bark covered with the strap will disintegrate and not heal.
For about a year, I was the only qualified (?) person at our office to do cabling. We used the same kind of cable used to support telephone poles.

Last edited:
Brett,
Cobra is a great system and in most situations it is far superior to steel systems. If you do a web search you will find more info.

The strap does not cause any problems. I have checked trees that had straps for years and there are no noticable effects. There have been studies done at the cellular level that have shown the same results.

At least with the bolts, the tree grows around it and heals. This is not true. Trees DO NOT heal!!!

Eric

Last edited:
>>Trees DO NOT heal!!!

Yup Yup, they close over the wound. there is no chance of decay with the new dynamic systems.

There is little or no chaffing with the straps, any I've seen is superficial. Though I have only looked at a few installs and only done a handfull they is more damage from climbers feet.

I am planning on going with the Libra system, I think it is a little better and easier to install. The big differance is that it incoperates slings instead of the rope girth hitching the stem. You can also use one sling for two points of attachment on individual cables. This makes a box easier to use.

Back