COLD snap here in Southern Ontario

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have had a nice wood fire in the stove to add heat to my house for last 3 days of intense cold.
It got to -26C a couple days and the inside temps are around 24C
Love the feel of wood heat.
Wife, cats and dog like it too.
Been burning off the Silver Maple first with a few Cherry splits thrown in.
P_20171213_123238[1].jpg

We've been having snow squalls off and on for the last week. -17 one night. I'm tired of moving snow already.
I hear ya. I've only had the blower going twice but it's so darn cold that it's just hard to breath out there for 2 hours at a time. Plus I can hardly move with all the layers I had on.
We got some extreme arctic air that moved in and stuck around.
It says you got more snow than us. We have about a foot on the ground here now.
How much you figure is on the ground there?

IMG_20151011_061150651.jpg

We don’t have that much but we have drifts everywhere. Of course there are drifts all around my log piles and equipment. The drifts blew in hard on Friday so they are even more fun. The sledders are out running the ditches and fence lines trying to wreck their sleds. -11out right now and I still have a 20 logs to cut up to finish one pile. Slow to get out there this morning.

View attachment 619294 It was pretty nice out if dressed for it. Started into removing all the ash from my bush. Surprised what the atv will pull once you get moving. 28'6" 12" at butt. I need to get a set of chains for her.
Hey woodfarmer, You're taking out Ash you say. Have you seen evidence of EAB in them or are you just selective cutting it for firewood?
I only have a few Ash on my property but I hope they don't get infected. One is an ornament one out on front lawn with my satellite dish on it.

We got a weird temp spike over past two days.
Tuesday night it was down to only 2C overnight then up to 4C in the morning. Last night overnight (Wed) it dropped to -16.
Good thing most of the slushy percip was melted away, oh and good thing I'm off work until Friday.:dancing:
It's -12C out now and 25C inside.
Wood stove is pumpin now...was up at 6:00 this morning to feed it.

P_20171221_074439[1].jpg P_20171221_073447[1].jpg

There is lots of evidence, our municipality’s out here have been eradicating all teees and running them thru the chipper, won’t even give them away for firewood due to the buracracy
gotta hate that eh?
I've seen that with lots of other trees that municipalities remove.
In the Fall I saw one of our municipality's trucks loaded high with Sugar Maple headed for the dump here. What a waste.

6 inches here overnight but at 40 degree f.............. will not last long :( I need to sell some snow blowers
My blower's been busy here.
Two storms within 3 days of each other has dumped about 18" of snow on us.
And another 3 day cold snap coming.
Tonight down to -12; tomorrow down to -24 overnight and next two nights down to around -18 at night.
Wood stove will be running full.
IMG_20151011_061155218.jpg

Have had a nice wood fire in the stove to add heat to my house for last 3 days of intense cold.
It got to -26C a couple days and the inside temps are around 24C
Love the feel of wood heat.
Wife, cats and dog like it too.
Been burning off the Silver Maple first with a few Cherry splits thrown in.
View attachment 618993

Coming weeknights to be -28C so the stoves will be on high and I'm off until next year...ha,ha

-25 this morning, fired the boiler at 9pm last night usually run it up to 190*, this morning at 9 boiler was 124*. It’s in an unheated shop but wrapped in insulation so not too bad.
-25 Centigrade of Fahrenheit? Heck, we may hit -26 F before Tuesday. Wind chills could hit -32 F. The all-time record low temp for New Years eve is in jeopardy. This is global warming? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Back