Comments on my firewood stash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many cords are here, ballpark?

It's a bit uneven, I get it, and it dawned upon me I could have stacked it in a better way to allow faster drying. I only did the cross-stacking on one side and towards the end.
Should I re-stack it or does it not really matter? I will cover with a trap once I find one.

Most of it appears to be mulberry with random wood mixed in such as poplar and a bit of oak. Even a bit of cedar that's totally fresh.
I didn't cut the mulberry but the rounds I picked up seem to have been sitting for a while and lost all their bark. When I split mulberry, it turned out to be half-seasoned already. Gave a bit of smell and were a bit heavier than dry but lighter than freshly cut wood, or so it seemed.

Stuff on the right is mostly poplar or something else really light.

1585412493901.png

1585412547908.png

1585412594231.png

1585412877546.png

Attachments

• 1585412651270.png
    1585412651270.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
That is one ugly Jenga pile! It looks to me like it will season just fine. Not too wide and plenty of surface area to catch sun and wind. Just cover the top with the tarp. I usually leave a bit more space between logs for airflow, but I bet yours will season alright. I was taught to leave enough space between for a mouse to run through, but not the cat that is chasing it.

That is one ugly Jenga pile! It looks to me like it will season just fine. Not too wide and plenty of surface area to catch sun and wind. Just cover the top with the tarp. I usually leave a bit more space between logs for airflow, but I bet yours will season alright. I was taught to leave enough space between for a mouse to run through, but not the cat that is chasing it.

It sure is (do I win a prize?), I previously built it single-row, got it as high as 8' before and had the entire structure collapse (predictably), luckily not upon me. I don't have much paved surface.
I rebuild it with two rows supporting each other, but I get it, it's sub-optimal. I need some kind of wood rack but what the hey.

does yellow mean it's really unseasoned? It turns red on the sides that have been exposed for a while.
I've never burned mulberry so I can't say. I understand it turns darker as it seasons but don't know if that is UV light related or moisture content. Similar to other wood I would say that turns gray, but fresh split sides maintain a color even when seasoned. It sparks when burning I hear and has good btu's.

does yellow mean it's really unseasoned? It turns red on the sides that have been exposed for a while.
I have cut/split dead standing and it was yellow so color is no indication of dryness. It will turn reddish brown after being exposed to the weather. Like H-ranch said it will spark and pop but only if not completely dry. I like 2 years drying time before burning.

I think the rounds got cut a year ago so not sure if that counts as a year -- probably not. And from this week until the burning season starts in November/December time frame.
Hopefully that will get the water percentage into something reasonable. I totally get that 2-3 years is the best if you can get it.

Back