Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
So you're the one vote for green! LOL I suppose your are correct, any color would probably make that old yardman look bad...lol I think anything that you like and does the job you have it for is OK with me regardless of color :)

No, I voted orange actually. That green vote wasn't there when I looked. We also have a Kubota, bit bigger than these ones. Forget the model, but it's in the 40-50hp range. I think.

What did that cost?

I know I mentioned it previously, but I think a Kioti CK2510 would be an ideal size for the OP's situation. I think the BX sized machines would be better mowers, but that's about it. For the other tasks, logging, driveway grading, plowing snow, pulling laden trailers or wagons, etc. The bigger size and capability of the CK would really be evident quickly I think. I doubt there is any price difference. If anything I bet a CK can be had for less than a lot of the BX Kubota's.
Kinda nosie aren't ya? Just kidding!
I'm in it for an insanely amount of 18 grand. Zero percent interst and a grand in rebates on the purchase of the second attachment. The snowblower was pretty expensive. A back blade would have been peanuts compared to the front snowblower.
I disagree about moving loaded trailers, moving wood last fall wasn't a problem. My trailer is the week link currently.
I'm planning to try a box blade this spring, but I'm more than confident this bx will hadle it.
Log skidding isn't what I needed this for, but I'm sure if I needed to, I would be plesently suprised. It's much more than a lawnmower.
13,780 for the tractor and deck. taxman got another 1220.

Yea that seems like a lot to me. Yes mowing the lawn will be my main use but it's equally as important that it has a loader and can function like a small farm tractor. Other wise I would just buy a nice mower.

That snow blower is nice but snow removal is not a big concern. I plow with the atv now and have the plow for the truck too.

As far as the atv thing whatever will out pull the other does not matter to me. But I disagree that atvs are only designed for fun and not work. Ever see one of those polaris 6x6 atvs I would not want to trail ride with that.

So by your logic....

I've never tried out pulling a garden tractor with a power wheels jeep, guess I can't make any claims that the garden tractor would win.

I've never tried jumping out of a plane without a parachute, guess I can't claim it would kill me.

I've never tried wrestling a full grown grizzly bear, guess I can't claim it would throw me around like a ragdoll

Hmmmm....if I took and had a 6' tall 200 lb man and a 4' tall 70 lb boy enter a tug of war competition, I can't say the man would easily win???

Just because I haven't tried something or don't own something doesn't mean I cant used logic and common sense to come to a reasonable conclusion as to what would happen
BUT, I did try it, so that's MY logic... The rest of you can keep on guessing... lol lol

SR

Checked out a couple of places over the weekend. One had a bx2200 I was interested in, older and decently used from the looks of it just like I prefer if the price is right, 10,900. No thanks.

My needs are a bit different than most,a BX isn't ideal but for 5-6k I'd probably justify it just to tinker around with it.

A mini skidsteer is the most ideal for me and then renting anything else would make the most sense. Mowing isn't high on the list.

Not to further muddy the thread but anybody seen the ATV loaders?

300lb capacity, runs off a battery and cost 3k plus. :)

Checked out a couple of places over the weekend. One had a bx2200 I was interested in, older and decently used from the looks of it just like I prefer if the price is right, 10,900. No thanks.

My needs are a bit different than most,a BX isn't ideal but for 5-6k I'd probably justify it just to tinker around with it.

A mini skidsteer is the most ideal for me and then renting anything else would make the most sense. Mowing isn't high on the list.

Now this Guy has a Plan.

I tested a MT85 bobcat.

I likey Likey.

Those stand on track loaders work really well in tight areas but are very slow moving in big spaces and tend to have modest lift capacity compared to a compact tractor.

Now this Guy has a Plan.

I tested a MT85 bobcat.

I likey Likey.

I'm not familiar with that one but I'm going to assume it's similar to the ones I look at with a little more Grey Poupon.

I can only imagine how that handles and with no down pressure Idk how well it would scoop. My atv plow doesn't push dirt it floats.

I understand it's capacity is going to be limited right off the bat but the price is what caught me off guard.

I have a 5 acre wooded lot with about 3 acres of cutting.[/QUOTE]

Seems kinda small. What's the topagraphy like? Or are you going to skid logs from somewhere else?

I'd leave the mess in the woods, keep the wood clean and my chains sharp.

I have a 5 acre wooded lot with about 3 acres of cutting.

Seems kinda small. What's the topagraphy like? Or are you going to skid logs from somewhere else?

I'd leave the mess in the woods, keep the wood clean and my chains sharp.[/QUOTE]

I'm not getting a tractor for fire wood. It's all wet lands around the house. I want to make sure I have a tractor that can pull some stuff if I need to. If I were pulling logs the max I would need to go is like 50 feet to grass.

i have a small firewood and brush hogging business. small as in $10,000 a year gross sales for both. use a 5 ft brush mower and pull logs out of the woods and move splits in bucket on front end loader. started out with a 30 hp farm trac. a month after purchase they went out of business. my dealer then became an ls rep. after three years of running the farm trac and realizing it was too under .powered for my needs i traded for a 39 hp ls. 3 years later i traded up to a 45 hp ls. now i am a happy tractor owner. was amazed at the amount dealer gave me on both trades. from my experience i would advise not to go with the sub compact, and more importantly, no belly mower. go with a rear finish mower. if you use your tractor in the woods, no matter how careful you are you'll catch the belly mower on a stump or tree or something and screw up the works. good luck. both my ls tractors were/are impressive machines.

Another vote for the Kioti.

I sold my skidsteer and bought a Kioti CK 4010 hst with a cab. The skid steer was great for dirt work and moving pallets and firewood, but sucked for snow removal and general winter operation because it couldn’t handle ice and any kind of hill or crown on the driveway or road.

The tractor came with a factory cab and 60” front mounted snowblower, along with the quick attach bucket, box blade and loaded tires.

I picked Kioti for the dealer location primarily and price second.

Kubota wasn’t in the running because the closest dealer was 120 miles away and went belly up because of a divorce situation.

None of the dealers I talked with recommended a belly mower on a compact or subcompact tractor. A ztr is faster, and, at least according to them, cheaper, and doesn’t compromise the other functions of a tractor. They even recommended a cheap lawn tractor for mowing the lawn over a drive over mower.

The CK4010 is a 40 hp tractor, but the CK series is available in lower power variations and without a cab for less money.

The skid steer is better for dirt work, and the better visibility makes pallet work a breeze, but you don’t have to climb over a pile of firewood so the tractor is better fore things like moving firewood, unless it’s already palletized.

The box blade is nice for the driveway.

Do get the hydrostatic drivetrain.

I had originally thought about cheaping out and not getting they hydrostatic but for mowing and stoning my driveway it's probably better to spend the extra money. Maybe the wife and kids will be able to use it too.

Back