Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
Page twelve and the discussion continues - so here are my two cents: If you are mowing a large yard with a tractor, you will wish for a zero turn. If you are mowing around your house or beds or trees, a compact tractor leaves much to be desired. You can’t do much beyond mowing with a zero turn. If you are doing tractor work, you will probably wish for one bigger than you have. Reconcile yourself to those regrets and buy accordingly. Personally if I could have only one I would lean towards a compact over a subcompact. Rear discharge finish mower over a belly mower or a side discharge. Hydro over gear for mowing.

Though the powers that be may frown on multiple machines or used machines, do your math. In my market, a nice finish mower is encroaching on the cost of a good used zero turn. You can forget about value retention on a finish mower. A compact tractor with a loader holds better value than farm tractors and lawn mowers. A compact tractor without a loader not so much so.

As to brand selection demo or rent first. Years ago the biggest difference I noted on compacts was the hydraulics. Probably doesn’t matter much with just a loader, but makes a big difference if you run a backhoe. Also shop prices of the brands. Deere get rapped for price, but when I shopped 20 to 28 hp tractors for my father years ago, the Kubotas were significantly higher in my area. He ended up buying a Kubota in his area due to a good servicing dealer. Don’t know who has the better buy now here much less in NY.

If you are buying used check for the usual of the model you are considering. Every tractor has some reoccurring issue. In my family’s experience the hydro Kubotas have had overheating issues and the stateside Deeres have plastic panels that disintegrate in the sun. If you like spending money price the cost of replacing a clutch in a Japanese Deere or the cost of replacing about anything inside a stateside Deere transmission. I am not picking on Deere (in fact Deere is my favorite) - I just know these repairs are expensive. Other makes may be as much or higher. You just need to consider these kind of things, especially when buying used.

Ron

I understand the bigger is better with a tractor but physical size is the reason I'm looking at the smaller compact tractor. I have a lot of tasks I'd like to accomplish that require a tractor in tight spaces. As for impliments I won't buy a back hoe because that will sit more than be used. I don't have any brush hogging to do. I only really need a loader and a larger mower in a smaller physical size tractor. I have a roto tiller for the garden and 2 plows for the driveway. I'm only on 5 acres if I had 40 my decision would be a lot different.

I mow between 3 to 4 acres in the open. Started with a 6’ rear discharge on a 30 hp gear tractor. Used a 25hp zero turn with a 5’ deck for a month while tractor was in the shop. It would do it in 2/3 the time. I moved up to a 7’ rear discharge but still slower than the zero turn. I mow around the house with a 44” lawn tractor. If I were to do it over, I would have bought the zero turn for a couple of grand less than the lawn tractor and bought a compact tractor and loader just for tractor purposes.

You know your situation better than anyone. Go demo what you think you want and go from there.

Ron

I enjoy cutting grass and the time to myself. All i want is to make it a Friday night thing and not a Friday night and Saturday thing. Shave an hour off cutting time and I would be happy. Maybe not even an hour. When I had one kid it was ok I could now the lawn with him on Saturday but now I have 2. I agree a decent zero turn is the way to go but I don't want one lol. I like to ride the mower at 5mph drink my beverage and smoke a cigar and listen to my old country music. I just want to cover more ground while cutting.

I tell ya what guys.....something to seriously consider would be an X7xx John Deere as well. I know Deere does not make a loader for them anymore, but CTC does as well as a few others. I currently have a X738(27 HP, 4wd, 54" deck) and it's absolutely amazing for doing lots of different chores. It is a great mowing machine, very nimble, and can drag logs out of anywhere ya need it to. I also have a 54" plow for it for moving snow. They are very versatile with the ability for a 3 point on the rear as well as a 540 PTO.

My needs/mind has changed a bit.

I've been watching used Kubota compacts hard. Good to great deals sell in under a week. No two ways about it. I wasn't so sure about the pricing originally, I felt they were good deals, after watching them a bit, now I'm pretty dialed in on their pricing and they go extremely quick.
What I've realized is aside from the great deals, the standard quality used price is not that much lower than new, well if you're going to go new you might as well go compact not sub compact. Essentially you start out shopping for a tinker tractor in good condition for $6k and all roads lead to 20 grand.

20 grand is a chunk of change.

I'm going to buy new and compact. I don't have the cash for used and all the used compact tractors I see around here don't have the mower deck and are still around 15k. I don't have the cash to buy one without a loan. I'm working on a good down payment this summer and hopefully in the spring I can purchase a new tractor with a good interest rate and cheap monthly payments.

I haven't started looking at dealers yet but I have looked at county fairs over the last few years. I think I would buy kubota over John deere. Mahindra is more expensive than both of them around here. I'm going to check out the Ls dealer since they made new Holland for a long time.

I started building a front end loader, backhoe using a 2wd int154 cub loboy. I got as far as boxing the front frame. Then I got prostate cancer. I’m ok it’s been six years time to get back at the fel/backhoe again. I’m thinking no loan to pay when my work is done.

I use older cub cadets for tilling, mowing, pulling a trailer. I have three int154 cubs besides a farmall cub with six cub cadets.

I own Kubota BXs, very nice machines. I recommend going to the dealers and getting the dealer price, it is better than the websites and the financing packages are pretty decent.

Never found a used one that was a good enough deal not to purchase a new one. Looked for years.

Comments on expectations...
They are small light duty machines. The front end loader full of mulch, compost or gravel is easy, full of wet clay it is maxed out. If you get the front end loader get the quick attach. If you cannot afford the front end loader now, but think you might want one later get the hyrodrolics installed from the factory on a new unit. Much cheaper than adding them on later. The loader mechanics bolts on, hydro would require removing parts for the install.

Pallet forks, not much grunt but handy enough to own. Use them more than I thought I would. Will not move a pallet cubed with firewood, not even close. Will move hazelnut bushes with root ball around 30” diameter 12” deep with standing brush approx 5’ tall right over to the backhoe dug hole. 10 cinder blocks, 8@6”x6”x8’ rough treated posts, etc.. Not huge weight potential, but better than doing it by hand.

Front end loader and backhoe are good digging tools. Handy to have, save lots of time, wear and tear on the aging body that gets sore faster and stays tired longer.

If you get the backhoe, get the thumb, very handy with stumps, rocks, etc.. Backhoe is handy for moving brush around, can carry way larger pile than the grapple that goes on the front end loader.

The BX are mowing machines. Grass catcher works good. Heavy on the ground if you have concerns about soil compaction. R4 tires will leave track marks, tear up soft ground.

Bought one, liked it enough to buy a second one. Used both today. Only drawback, using the tractor is not exercise, so you might gain some weight. Side effect, endless list of projects and chores gets longer because capability improved.

Wanted to add some more about the backhoe.

If you think that you would ever want it then you need to purchase the backhoe model of BX. The backhoe attaches to the frame and is powered by the hydro, it is not mounted to the 3point in any way and does not involve the pto.

The BX models sold without the backhoe from the factory do not have the frame mount and reinforcing to mount the backhoe. The backhoe can toss the tractor around a bit. With the extra steel on the backhoe model it is heavier and much more ridgid, both are not ideal for mowing.

It is fairly easy to mount and unmount but not convenient. Personally I found the backhoe easier to deal with than the mower deck.

Using the backhoe and FEL with the belly mower is doable but seriously cuts down on ground clearance and maneuverability. Would not recommend.

Mowing with the backhoe and FEL is ridiculous. Mowing with just the FEL is a pain. Both these setups tear up the grass way more than without.

Anyone own a Kubota B21? I was toying with the idea of purchasing one and down sizing some other equipment that is underutilized.

As cool as a backhoe sounds I can't justify spending the money on one.

So why do so many choose kabota over all the others?

I preferred the overall size and layout of the Kubota versus John Deere and New Holland. The other brands were to far away for me to be interested, I did go and look at Massey and a couple others. No reason for the inconvenience of a distant dealer.

Price differences between brands was insignificant.

I do like that they have the B series and the L series. Seems like they have built separate tractors for the field and grass cutting unlike all the others who offer 1 compact tractor for both. I want a nice grass cutting tractor with a FEL not a farm tractor with a mower deck.

I bought a new BX2350 in 2007 and have probably 1,100 hours on it now. It was in the shop shortly after delivery for a hydraulic leak caused during set up. It hasn’t been in the shop since then.

It has a 60” MMM, loader and front blower. I’ve also ran a 60” 3PH blower on it but got tired of the stiff neck.

The loader can be mounted or unmounted in less than 2 minutes.

The BX series are more of an “estate” tractor and while they can do a lot of things, you need to understand their limitations.

This machine is one of the best purchases I’ve made and I suffer from chronic buyer’s remorse.

Latest posts

Back